Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Split brake kit

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2006, 07:43 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Split brake kit

what i would, and am going to do is go buy any right hand break lever and resivoir of a any 4-wheeler (raptor, banshee, ect) and get new lines and hook them up to the front. then on the polaris lever just block off the two front break line holes in the splitter box and leave the back alone so your right hand is front and left is back and foot is back

Old 10-16-2009, 09:37 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default brake splitting....

Originally Posted by 700r
what i would, and am going to do is go buy any right hand break lever and resivoir of a any 4-wheeler (raptor, banshee, ect) and get new lines and hook them up to the front. then on the polaris lever just block off the two front break line holes in the splitter box and leave the back alone so your right hand is front and left is back and foot is back
I think this is the best option I have seen. I have been thinking about doing this mod for a while. I have a new Front Right hand master cly. I read somewhere on here that the two lines in the rear caliper deliver different amounts of pressure. Some guys are swapping the lines, some guys are plugging one and just using the rear master. SOme are making a T fitting and supplying both holes in the caliper with fluid from the rear master (foot). I am of the opinion that the polaris rear master is junk. its ability to work is greatly dependent on how thick your brake pads are. When my pads wear past 25%, i need to put a spacer in to get the peddle to do anything. I want the controls to resemble a sport quad, so im going to run new lines to the fronts with my new master cyl. and use the stock line/master to the rear.

My question is this. Is there any resistance in the stock junction box? some say its a 40/60 split to help you back down hills. Because if there is resistance, im going to throw it away and get a couple of inline brake light switches and couplers and just connect the line from the stock master to the line that goes to the rear. Planning to keep it all SAE as that is what i presume the calipers and rear master cyl. is. I will need an adapter from the metric pipe thread on the magura master to the SAE break lines.

ANyone know where I can get one? Man do i miss having a machine shop at my disposal when i was in School.

Thanks.

Old 10-16-2009, 10:32 AM
Pro Rider

Let us know how the mod goes.
The single break lever is my biggest complaint with the sportsman. That and having no four wheel drive when going down steep downhill sections that have a bend in them.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:01 PM
Trailblazer

IF recall my history correctly back in 1998 to 2000 sportsman 500 (don't hold me to those years) Polaris offered a split brake setup. Left handlebar was for all wheels, Right handle bar was for the front. And you also had the foot brake for the rear. I believe they were using a spring loaded slide valve in order to accomplish all this. I would think a good service guy at your Polaris dealer should be able to pull up the plumbing schematics for you and get you a Part #
This might be easier than some cobbled up idea
Let us know what you find out

Old 10-16-2009, 10:49 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out my pics under the trailblazer for my girls quad ive did all my quads this way and i love it...