Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mud lite xtr Vs. Mud lites?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 03:18 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mud lite xtr Vs. Mud lites?

Im looking to buy new tires and wanted to know which tire is the best in mud and snow. from what i see and hear these 2 tires come up the most often.any help would b appreciated

Old 02-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Pro Rider

a radial has a larger contact patch which translates into more traction. if you have the cash it's a no brainer, however, from what I have read the regular flavor is also an awesome tire. wonder how the two would compare against each other on the same machine under the same circumstances...

Old 02-14-2006, 06:04 PM
Trailblazer

The bias ply is a good tire though i am sure the radial is better. Either will be a vast improvement over a stock tire. I think i paid about $320 for 4 25inch 6 ply.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

I just got a set of XTR 26" in lieu of the mudlites. More money, but I needed more than a mud tire. So far, I'm very impressed with the performance in the mud, and really like the way they handle on fast trails. I think the bias plys maybe better in the rough, but tend to be grabby and a little unnerving when push at higher speeds. If you can afford it, I'd spring for the XTR's....................... one mans opinion.

Old 02-14-2006, 06:47 PM
Weekend Warrior

I have a 250 trailblazer that will have the rcr stage 1 kit on it by thursday. Which tire is less weight? I think I am going to go with the stock size as well, so I don't eat up my HP I just gained. I trail and mud ride. (don't mean to steal your topic, but I think this fits your ?) Stock is a 22-11-10. Should I go the same? Will thes mudlite's be less or more weight? What do you guys think? thanks.

Old 02-15-2006, 07:45 AM
Pro Rider

I have both these tires in the same sizes on two of our trail machines. In my opinion it was a bad marketing decision on ITPs part to connect these tires with the same “Mud Lite” name. They’re really in two completely different classes.

The bias ply Mud Lites are lighter, cheaper and they may clean out better in some types of mud. But the rubber compound is soft and the lugs wear quickly unless you’re always on soft terrain. They’re also terrible in the snow, like riding on snot.

XTRs are twice the tire in my opinion. They ride and handle MUCH smoother, perform better in most mud conditions and they’re the best snow tire I’ve ever run. Their rubber compound is tougher so the lugs don’t wear down as fast. Downside? They’re heavier and more expensive than the bias plys. But regarding price, this is another example of you get what you pay for. For a competitive quote on either tire check here.

Old 02-15-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

that's just what we were looking for floodrunner, a head to head comparo. I'll be needing new hides soon and snow traction is a must, thought about the mud lites but I better think again. thanks for the mini review!

Old 02-15-2006, 02:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: floodrunner
I have both these tires in the same sizes on two of our trail machines. In my opinion it was a bad marketing decision on ITPs part to connect these tires with the same “Mud Lite” name. They’re really in two completely different classes.

The bias ply Mud Lites are lighter, cheaper and they may clean out better in some types of mud. But the rubber compound is soft and the lugs wear quickly unless you’re always on soft terrain. They’re also terrible in the snow, like riding on snot.

XTRs are twice the tire in my opinion. They ride and handle MUCH smoother, perform better in most mud conditions and they’re the best snow tire I’ve ever run. Their rubber compound is tougher so the lugs don’t wear down as fast. Downside? They’re heavier and more expensive than the bias plys. But regarding price, this is another example of you get what you pay for. For a competitive quote on either tire check here.
I noticed the same thing with my XTR's. you couldnt of said it better. i found the sidewalls to be stiffer also which helps in preventing cuts on side of tries and greatly improved steering and handling characteristics.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

The only problem I have, is that I don't think that they make the radial in a small enough tire for the scrambler do they? 22-11-10. I don't want to go much heavier than stock, or I'll eat all my hp, but I do want to go through mud, the best that a 250 2 wheeler can.

Old 02-15-2006, 04:41 PM
Weekend Warrior

What do you guys think of the Mud Bug by Maxxis? Or are there any other tires that would be good in the trail, and great in the mud?

Quick Reply: Mud lite xtr Vs. Mud lites?