Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

took a roll yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2006 | 11:38 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default took a roll yesterday

I was out yesterday with 2 brutes and a King and while running through some stuff I never emagined a quad to run I managed to roll my new toy. 5 miles and 2 hrs and it went over on me. I have 2 ?s. I can't see any broken parts other than my tweaked bars and hand control positioning that was field repaired. Any special hiden places to look for broken plastic our parts. It was a slow role in some soft dirt. Does anyone make a fornt diff lock overide for the damn thing. Had the AWD engaged before I sliped I would have crested the hill without issue. It sliped at the crest got a bit sidways and that's all she wrote. Well at least now it fully broken in. No pun intended. Thanks for the help. BTW I will be installing my winch shortly so I'll have most of the front apart.

Old 02-20-2006 | 05:44 AM
Pro Rider

Sportsmans are very tuff ... if you don't see anything broken, there problity isn't.

If you want AWD right away ... just apply the brakes ... gun it hard enought for the back wheels to start spin and the front will lock in.

Old 02-20-2006 | 07:37 AM
Pro Rider

Check your air box for engine oil. There’s a crankcase breather tube that goes up to the air box. When the machine is on its side or upside down the motor will pump engine oil into the box. Don’t ask me how I know. Glad you and your machine are okay.

Old 02-20-2006 | 08:02 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: 20045SP500HO
Sportsmans are very tuff ... if you don't see anything broken, there problity isn't.

If you want AWD right away ... just apply the brakes ... gun it hard enought for the back wheels to start spin and the front will lock in.
wayout here,but won't it go back to stand by mode as soon as you start to move, iv'e never tried this but seems to me as soon as you move the front would disengage,true or false?? wayout, out......................

Old 02-20-2006 | 08:24 AM
Supersock
Hired Gun!
"Badges? We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

Were the bars bent back, or to the side? I'd check the steering stem just to be safe.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:16 AM
Trailblazer

You and me both. I took a roll on Sunday myself.

I got some minor plastic damage and my speedo needle is trashed.

I'll take a look in my airbox today and look for oil.

Old 02-20-2006 | 11:44 AM
Trailblazer

If you do find out that you need a new steering stem, handle bars, ect... You can cehck out this website null . I flipped mine a while back and i got some awsome deals from these guys.

Old 02-20-2006 | 12:01 PM
|
Pro Rider

They were bent down a little but they shifted forward and the ground was soft enough that the throttle and master cylinder just pushed into the ground. How would you check the tree? I do have some vibrations now. It all seems to be plastic vibrating I guess it got loosened up in the bounce and roll. The fender to foot rest area and the side cover. Any way to quiet that down. I was thinking about some foam tape. I'm going to get a bunch of the push pins because I bet they get busted a bunch.

In summary I took a good look at the bike all last night when I installed the winch and did not see anything that looked out of sorts. They again I would not know what to look for unless it was really out of sorts.

Still think we need to get a AWD override button that we can mash to lock things up rather than wait for the wheels to spin. Any Polaris gurus out there. Should be able to fool the ecm or intercept the lockup signal and reproduce it to lock the front end up.

Old 02-20-2006 | 12:45 PM
Pro Rider

The AWD system is a system that when engaged, as soon as the rear wheels rotate slightly faster that the front, the front catches up and drives the front wheels. As far as I know, you can't just lock it in, "ever." Now that being said, because it only needs to rotate sightly, something like 1/5 turn, you can't even notice it. I've had friends with other brand quads, bash the, "It has to spin the rear tires for it to engage the front" issue. If you stand next to a properly working Polaris AWD, you can't even see the slippage before the front engages. Try it. Get into a position where you can get all the wheels spinning without moving forward. I just high centered myself on a pile of wood chips from a day of chipping. Then try to see the rears spin before the front, "you can't." Sounds like you gave it a little too much gas at the top and maybe got the front wheels off the ground. If the front wheels are off the ground they're just gripping the air and your rears will spin and slide towards the down hill side. Your quad has alot of power and lots of grip with those tires and will pick the front end up. The Polaris is much heavier than the other quads you were riding with so you must use more body english to affect your quads balance. I've had my font end up and didn't even know it until friends told me. Polaris has all that big plastic rack hiding the front wheel view. Just my thoughts, I'm not an expert. You should be able to go anywhere those other quads go, even more. It took me more than 5 miles and 2 hrs to get used to the Polaris. Now I have a hard time riding other quads. Glad you didn't get hurt, that's what counts.

Old 02-20-2006 | 12:51 PM
Pro Rider

If you want AWD right away ... just apply the brakes ... gun it hard enought for the back wheels to start spin and the front will lock in.[/quote]

wayout here,but won't it go back to stand by mode as soon as you start to move, iv'e never tried this but seems to me as soon as you move the front would disengage,true or false?? wayout, out......................[/quote]

wayout - It will disengage after about five feet of the rear wheels not spining, so if you keep on the gas it will stay in AWD for the whole climb. Madmatt1971 - you can't over ride the AWD it's a electrical/mechanical device that requires the rear wheels to spin alittle to ingauge.

Quick Reply: took a roll yesterday