Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

04 predator decceleration noise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 01:38 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 predator decceleration noise?

Hey guys just picked up left over 04 predator (new) riding around on it a little and on decceleration totally out of the gas there is a serious whining noise is that normal or should I be checking into something? thanx

Old 02-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I'm not totally positive what you are describing....but the chain roller makes quite a bit of noise, and so does the actual motor(you can hear the chain going up to the cams).....

Make sure you change that oil often!!! 1st change should be after 1-2hrs....then 7-8hrs....then every 10-15hrs after(depending on how hard you ride)

Old 02-24-2006, 02:04 PM
Weekend Warrior

almost sounds like a gearcase whining but wasn't sure?
checked the oil all good know it's not engine noise thought maybe chain too loose?
or they just make that noise nature of the beast

Old 02-24-2006, 02:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Well, they make a noise, but I don't want to mislead you here if something is possibly wrong. You wouldn't really know the motor from the gearcase(except trial and error, would hear motor in N, and gearcase in gears)....but they are 1 in the same....the oil used in the engine is the same as the oil in the gearcase...so keep that in mind......they are connected.....also when the engine oil gets from brown to dark black.....time to change....

Old 02-24-2006, 02:34 PM
Weekend Warrior

figured engine oil and gearcase oil the same thing the noise is prob the chain idlers.
this is my first chain drive always had either shaft or belt so still learning these racers.
machine seems awsome what little i riddin it!
hey where you guys pickin up these clamp on twin air filters? does that toltally eliminate air box?

Old 02-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Yeah......a totally different experience isn't it?? I had to go through that same thing. Now you have to get used to front and rear brakes.....clutch....chain..etc.

The twin air can be bought from Nicholas Cycle(www.nicholascycle.com) They can totally eliminate the airbox if wanted. You can leave the actual box if ya want, to help keep water/mud from getting up there. I don't really see it getting up there anyway....I also have an outerware over my filter though.....oh, and you'll need some bel-ray foam filter oil too....

When it comes time for mods, keep me in mind....I'll let you in on what is good, and what isn't(in my opinion)...and what mods are the most worthy too....

Old 02-24-2006, 03:38 PM
Weekend Warrior

they are a totally different machine opens you up to alot more fun in a lot of different ways.

I'll be asking about mods kind of the reason I bought a racer want to have fun with it trick it out also beat the hell out of my buddies 89 250r

do you know if the radiator scoops help to protect the radiator overflow tank? seems like could have problem with puncture or even tearing the whole tank off. if so the best place to order this type of stuff?
couldn't find in denis kirk!

Old 02-24-2006, 05:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well I know there is a place that makes a cover for the tank(although I've never had any trouble with it)....but about every company makes radiator scoops, to help force more air into the radiator, for cooler temps.

When it comes to performance, check out www.nicholascycle.com and www.rathracing.com

Rockymountainatv might also have some of the pred stuff.....