Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

325 WHEELIES!

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2000, 12:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Guys,

One of the biggest selling points for me on my boss was the torque. But after i got it home, i was suprised to find that the power still wasn't enough to throw up the front tires, I went out and bought a new POLARIS GREEN Clutch spring and that thing showed me the way. I mean it litterally gave me a method of tossing the front end up. I ride a lot of hills though, and although the wheels came up soooo easily, i had to take it out or risk doing the majestic "Back-Flip down the slope."

After i put the stock spring back in it, i just used pretty much the same technique and bang, up went the front! not quite as easily as with the green spring, but this way, my engagement RPM was low enough that i could get it to the balance point and just burp the gas there to keep it up. So, all you boss owners out there who thought you couldn't wheelie it at all, I wish you were there today, cause i held it for 100ft. If you can't get the tires up for some reason try using the foot brake, i used to only be able to do it with the foot brake, if you still can't try the green spring, and maybe if you don't ride hills often, you can keep it in!

Old 11-12-2000, 01:51 AM
Pro Rider

Hey 325boss~
that's funny...I just installed a green spring and an AAEN muffler on my trailboss tonight! The muffler was supposed to give a 10 percent increase in power! Here's what I found...the muffler just made the machine louder and made it pop thing like a car when you let off the gas. The clutch spring made the engagement higher, but the performance increase was hardly noticeable! I don't know what it is about the machine, but I think the engine is just too small to get much power out of it! Unless you spend moocho $$$, the machine will probably be fairly gutless for acceleration. Low end torgue is still good, but even with the spring and the muffler, lifting the front tires was a tough chore!

Old 11-12-2000, 08:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WIscrambler,
sounds to me,with the backfiring your getting when you let off your exaust,that you are now running the engine to lean with the new pipe,you need to re-jet the carb,
Bill

Old 11-13-2000, 12:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

325boss,
i have a '00 325 also. i was really suprised to read your thread because i just thought it was a given that with the automatic tranny you would not be a wheelie rider. where do you look for the green spring and can i put it in myself? also useing the rear brake? do you go backwards and jam it into drive? just curiuos because i want to make my buddy jelous! he has a 250 trail blazer and is all about speed and such. he tries wheelies by kneeling on the seat. no luck! please fill me in. thanks,
jeremy
filinfuze@gamerplanet.com

Old 11-13-2000, 02:07 PM
Pro Rider

Hey 325blazin~
I really think 325boss is exaggerating his story a little. Actually a lot. It was just Saturday night when I put the green spring on my 325. It did raise the engagement point, but lifting the front end, let alone wheelies, were still a very difficult chore. Yeah, I know, it does suck that the machine is gutless. But I'd rather tell a fellow rider the truth and possibly save him some money than tell some BS story. Your best bet for keeping up with the trailblazer would be to trade your 325 for a trailblazer. I just think there is not enough engine in the 325 to get any performance out of it. Just my two cents and REAL WORLD EXPERIENCE. By the way, DO NOT try going backwards and slamming it into drive! All you'll get is a horrible grinding and possibly transmission damage.

Old 11-13-2000, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

WIscrambler~

there is no exaduration involved, ask bill cillerberti, and whoever the other rider was that said his boss would shoot up easy, some machines jsut run different then others, and by-The-way, you can get the green spring at RcR, you'll have to post a topic to get the number for that place tho. and another thing, if you can't get your bosses front end up, maybe its because you don't time it right, it isn't like other quads, it has to be timed diferent, if you do it right, you can loft the front end and hold it there REAL GOOD!

P.S. I figure that since you have more then one rig, and one is a Scram, you don't spend much time on the much less powerful boss. YOu see, i spend all my time on my boss cause thats what i have! That is what is driving me to do tricks like taht and make it look sportier, i had to work on it for liek a month, a half-hour a day to get this right, and i don't want to hear that i can't do it! If you can't do it, thats fine with me, but i can thanks! and thats all i have to say.

Old 11-13-2000, 11:05 PM
Trailblazer

I can wheelie mine also. It takes EXTREMELY accurate timing and a lot of body english and mojo to get it up. Nothing spectacular, but it's up. I do think with a higher engagement clutch spring it'd be easier. I have to disagree with you WIscrambler on the engine being gutless. Detuned yes. Snappy/quick, definitely not. However, mine just won't quit on hillclimbs or sanddunes. It kinda reminds me of the old Toyota pickups I used to have. They couldn't be stopped, it just took you a while to get there!
Rick Ritter's website iswww.rittercycle.com and his phone # is on the site. Everybody speaks highly of him....

Old 11-13-2000, 11:31 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Guys~
Sorry to doubt you about your machines! I still have the green spring on, but I am sending the muffler back to AAEN...not worth a penny of what it cost! I know why I think the 325 is gutless...look at the other 2 machines I ride. Both 400's and both have clutch kits!! Of course that will make a small bore 4 stroke feel quite slow! I will admit though, it is the first 4 stroke ATV I have ridden, and I am quite impressed with the low end torque the machine has. I love riding that thing through the hills where you just give a little more throttle and you'll keep moving! slowly, yes, but easier takeoff than a 2 stroke! For the size of the machine and the cost, it is a very good investment.

Old 11-14-2000, 09:03 PM
Trailblazer

WIscrambler-point taken. I'm not at all jealous either. I WISH my Trailboss was zippier. Still trying to decide whether to fiddle with it or look for a nice used Scrambler. Probably end up fiddling with it...