Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

03 SP 600 Front Hub Trouble

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006 | 04:22 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default 03 SP 600 Front Hub Trouble

I added 2" spring spacers to the front shocks last night. I think something went wrong because now my left tire will not spin freely and when I spin it, the handlebars turn. I supported the front stuts with a jack, but I had to move it around a little to get the springs on and off. Does it sound like the cv may have come out of joint? And if so is that something I should be able to fix. I have a service manual and it explains how to remove and install the front cv axle, but I thought I would get some input here. If someone could steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2006 | 08:12 PM
Pro Rider

Please don’t think I’m being rude or a smartass but if you have to ask whether or not your axle pulled out of your CV you’re probably better off taking it to someone else to fix. The basic mechanical skill required to figure out the answer to that question is nothing compared to the skill level needed to take it all apart and put it back together. I’d rather see you do that than encourage you to perform the repair, only to decide you’re in over your head once the machine is disassembled and immobilized. But hey, it’s your machine. If it weren’t for learning the hard way my wealth of knowledge wouldn’t fill a thimble.

Just a word of caution, don’t ride it if you think the axle has pulled out. You can ruin the CV very quickly and it will cost you a lot more to repair. Good Luck.

Old 03-01-2006 | 11:02 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

I guess I should re-phrase the question. How hard is it to take the axle apart and put it back together? I am very mechanical, but have read about how much it s$%ks to do this. I really hate going to the dealer for anything. Thanks.

Old 03-01-2006 | 11:19 PM
Pro Rider

I tore a rear inner CV boot on my 2002 sportsman 700 when it was relatively new, but out of warranty. I was able disassemble, clean, and put it back together with what I would call common shop tools. I've also done them on front wheel drive cars. I can't remember the specifics, and I can't tell you if the rears are the same as the fronts. I did have to make a special tool for the CV boot clamp, and you may need a new clamp if you take it apart.

Sorry I cant be more help. I have never had one pull apart on me before without tearing the boot.

Old 03-01-2006 | 11:57 PM
|
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the help. What tool did you use to take the boot clamp off? Also what kind of grease to use to repack when done. Thanks

Old 03-01-2006 | 11:59 PM
Trailblazer

A pair of needle nose will work. You have to look at the clamp and you will see how and where to squeeze it at.

Old 03-02-2006 | 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

When I needed a CV boot clamp tool I made my own from a bargin bin pair of diagonal cutting pliers. They cost me $2.00 and I just ground the tips to make a set of points that came together when squezed. I used regular automotive grease at the time, but polaris has a kit that comes with a pre-measured amount of grease for the specific CV joint. Good luck with the fix.

P.S. What kind of lift did you install and how does it look. I'm interested in just 1 or 2 inch spacers to help with the weight of a winch and brushguard.

Floodrunner, Wondering if the ATV trails in Wisconsin are open this coming weekend around Quad County by Nielsville. My wife is from Eau Claire and we will be making the 4 hour trip over.

Old 03-02-2006 | 06:56 AM
Pro Rider

Right now most of the marked, legal ATV trails are occupied by sledders, although where we ride, up in Iron County (Hurley, Mercer area, up by Lake Superior) wheels are legal on the trails with sleds. It’s one of the very few places in the state we legally ride in the winter. Our last winter ride before “slush season” is coming up the weekend after this one.

Try checking on the county website, they may have some info about trails. This is the time of the season when some sled trails start closing due to lack of snow and ATVs may be allowed.

Old 03-02-2006 | 09:18 PM
Pro Rider

floodrunner, thanks for the trail info. I see you have a three headlight mod on your polaris. I had a montana jacks mod on my 2002, but the switch went out on it after a couple years. Where did you get yours and how much are they? I'm also interested in the overide switch, but I dont like wires all over. Any info appreciated.

Old 03-02-2006 | 10:14 PM
Trailblazer

Trailbound,
try e-bay for both or quadovator.com. I got both the headlight mod and reverse override from them. So far so good. Easy to install. It takes longer to cut holes in the headlight pod then installing the wires.