Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Shifting Problem, SP500 '00

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 03:21 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had my SP 500 about a year (1100 miles) now and the shifting has always been rough. A few times it has completely locked up (in low, high & reverse) and only after several minutes of working the gear shift and linkage rods, was I able to free it up. Over time, it has gotten worse instead of better. My brother and a friend both have '00 SP 500 and are having similar problems. If you're ever in a tight spot with weight mostly on one front and one rear (torsion on the frame), it will happen every time.

I'm frustrated. Do I need to adjust my shifting rods? Any help would be greatly appreciate. I'm headed to the Deer Woods in five days!

Thanks,

Old 11-14-2000, 10:32 AM
Range Rover

I would like to echo this message. My 2000 SP500 also has similiar problems.

Does anyone know if this is correctable?

Old 11-14-2000, 10:52 AM
Pro Rider

I have had a 98 SP500 and I now have a 2000SP500. I have never had one lock up on me. However, I do not force the shifter either. If it feels like it is in a bind, just move the bike a little until it shifts freely.

Greg

Old 11-14-2000, 11:10 AM
Range Rover

Greg, I am aware of moving the ATV when it is in a bind....

What I am describing here, and what it sounds like shadetree is describing is quite different, and so inconsistent that it is hard to find a pattern to the problem.

My SP500 sometimes wants to grind or has difficulty going into gear when sitting perfectly level in my enclosed, 72 degree, environmentally stable, well-swept, ant-free, garage. Yet, just as often as not, it pops into gear just fine.

This is true on trails, while on hills, etc. I too have had the gear lock after riding and when sitting on perfectly level ground with no load (heck, I even got off the bike!) There was one time it locked and I swear I never thought I'd never get it out of reverse!

The only reason I haven't taken the ATV to the dealer for warrenty repair (I have only 100 miles on the thing) is that I haven't found a pattern to the problem to descibe to the service fella. And I hate being told that "I can't find the problem you are describing, sir." So, I'm still trying to do my homework here, first--like shadetree.

If your ATV is just fine, I think that's great for you. I have a friend also with a 2000 SP500 and 700 miles and he has never experienced this either. But apparently some have....

Any advice from anyone? And as always, THANKS!

Old 11-14-2000, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similiar problem with my Xplorer.I have taken it in for that problem before only to be told it could'nt be found.After losing my temper on the trail one day because of the gear shifter locking up,I tore the airbox out [linkage was below the airbox] and noticed that one of the bolts that lock down the linkage rod was LOOSE.PISSED me off,why did'nt the dealer see that?Anyways,since adjusting the rod and tightening the locking bolt,everything has been fine,
Bill

Old 11-14-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

Get out your 10mm wrench, and you'll have to do a little fiddling with the adjustment rods and the threads on the rods coming out of the shifter box. Had the same problem, not shifting, locking into gear, took a little trial and error, and you will curse on occassion, but it can be fixed right.

Old 11-14-2000, 07:37 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks SWAC1! To again echo what 4Monkeys was saying, this is not an issue about force or lack there of. It has typically happend when I've had the ATV in a bind, but it has happened sitting on level ground.

I'll try your suggestion. Thanks for your tip!

Trending Topics

Old 11-17-2000, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

I've had this problem a number of times on my '00 SP00, and taken it into the dealer a few times, to no avail. From what I have heard, (I can't remember if it was from the dealer or from others in this group) I guess the problem lies in the fact that the linkage from the transmission to the shifter is quite long. When you get the machine in a tight bind that will torque and twist the frame just a bit, it will throw that long linkage off enough to make it difficult or even impossible to shift. I especially have this problem if one of my front tires is torqued on an incline. I usually have to winch myself forward just enough to distrubute the weight on the frame more evenly so that I can shift.
I was told by the dealer to not get into those situations. Gee, thanks for the help.

Scott

Old 11-17-2000, 01:02 AM
Pro Rider

Swac1 is right and remeber one end of the rod is a right hand thread and the other end is left hand thread so don,t strip it.My ajustment was so off once, I had no forword gear at all just reverse and a litle turn of the rod made it shift into all gears better than it ever did new.