Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Water Tight??

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 03:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am a new owner of the 01' 500 Scrambler 4X4 and the wife has a 00'TrailBoss. I LOVE IT!! I am not sure how much water we should ride through and not need a blow dryer!! It looks like some of you guys are the experts for mods... By the way....My friends have Raptors and they are fast in the sand. But the 4x4 blows by in the mud and shallow water!!They say wait until the belt is wet..and they will be tired of riding before it dries..is that true?

Marty

Old 11-13-2000, 09:37 PM
Pro Rider

SCREW 'EM !

You've got the WAY more versatile quad. They've got 1 trick ponies.

I've had lot's of trouble with the belt getting wet on my Scrambler, but it's never taken more than a minute for it to dry. I always just try to take it easy puttin' around for a minute, then I can go again. I think the PVT case isn't sealed up real well. But I know guys that have never gotten theirs wet.

You can go as deep as you want really, just watch for the splashes. It goes right into the PVT exhaust. Keep water out of the intakes, and don't let off the gas.

Dave

Old 11-14-2000, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

the sc500 will go through some perty deep water, just keep it under the pvt exhust, I see the 2001 have a splash guard on the pvt exhust, ine use to get water splashed in till I made a splash guard. If it does get wet, just put it in N and idle it at 1/4 throttle for a min and it should be ready to go.

Old 11-14-2000, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

I've got a 00 Trailboss and I've been stuck in water up to the seat, NEVER had the belt slip.

Just get in deep and find out.

Mark

Old 11-14-2000, 10:45 AM
Trailblazer

I HAVE A 2000 400 4X4 SCRAMBLER AND HAVE HAD IT 2 FEET!!! IN MUD AND WATER AND DID NOT HAVE A BELT SLIP

Old 11-14-2000, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks guys for all the responses. I will be testing the waters here, in and around ,the San Jacinto River this weekend. Its great to have a site like this to find out the real deal.....

Heres to mud in the other guys face..

Old 11-14-2000, 03:12 PM
Pro Rider

The only 2 ways a belt will ever get wet are:
1)The gasket on your housing is bad or not seated right. I have never had any water come through the housing and I've crossed water up to the seat.

2)On my '99 and probably a few others, the vent faces down for some reason and water will enter if you ride fast into big puddles or a river. I have replaced my vent snorkel with one off of a different model that has a splash guard and it hasn't gotten wet since and probably never will.

DON'T LET ANYONE WHO DOESN'T OWN A POLARIS TELL YOU ABOUT WET OR BROKEN BELTS. MOST PEOPLE WHO RELAY THESE STORIES HAVE ABSOLUTELY NO CLUE AND WILL REPEAT ANYTHING THEY HEAR.

Old 11-14-2000, 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have owned a Polaris quad, which I sold because I was very dissatisfied with the reliability of it. One reason was the belt slippage factor. It’s a fact of life if you have a belt driven quad the belt will eventually slip. There are people here that will say it’s not true. All I have to say is if isn’t true than why do so many people experience it or question it?

Don’t let me scare you in to thinking you can’t cross water. You can just take it easy and watch the splashing factor. I understand Polaris has made some engineering modifications to this and I here it’s getting better with each new model year.

Old 11-14-2000, 10:21 PM
Pro Rider

The '01 models in particular seem very watertight. Better snorkel and better belt cover. I would have never believed it unless I saw it, but your SP could likely go thru water as deep as the bottom of the seat without fear. I have heard that the trick is to go slow & steady in Low range, that roaring thru can get the belt wet from the spray.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:50 AM
Pro Rider

Just fyi there is two seals on the housing one is an outer and that is the one you replace when changing belts. and the other is behind the primary clutch keep an eye on that one, they can tear bye having the clutch cover not lined up properly.

Quick Reply: Water Tight??