Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brass brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2000, 10:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just added a new section in my website called "New products" and the first product that I wanted to highlight was the brass brake pads made by Box Brakes (www.boxbrakes.com). I was hoping someone that has tried them will give me some comments that I can use in my site to promote these. I plan on trying them soon, but will not be able to really test them until spring. I plan on featuring different products from time to time in this section so please email me any products that you would like to see posted.

Old 11-14-2000, 04:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Polaris quads come from the factory with soft brake pads.They will wear quicker than you could ever imagine in muddy and wet terrain.

Polaris has 3 types of pads,

1.Soft,for everyday DRY riding with little to no sand/mud/water
2.Medium,for a casual ride in mud/sand/water
3.Severe Duty,for alot of wet and muddy riding

Severe duty pads will at least double the life of the factory pads,however,if you are a avid mudder,you will still find that even the severe duty pads will wear out much faster than you like.There is an answer.

Gary Box has a rear brass brake pad for Polaris quads,I have them installed on the rear of my Xplorer.They require a break in procedure that is very simple.So far after riding last Sunday extensivly in the mud at my local riding area,IM IMPRESSED.It will take me some more time on them for a complete evaluation though.I looked into relining the Polaris stock pads from a local brake place,but they send them out for the relining and there is NO gaurentee.Mr Box will give you a gaurentee with his pads.

Im waiting for the ultimate challenge from Mr Box.Im really waiting for a set of his front pads in brass to make a complete evaluation of his brake products.The rear pads have very little stopping effect on the quad,the fronts do 80% of the stopping.So it would be REAL interesting to see how a front set would hold up?
Gary,you up to it?
Bill

Old 11-14-2000, 05:20 PM
Pro Rider

Bill

Thanks for the report, I will incorporate some of your reply in my website. In email conversations with Gary, he said he will be making a set of front pads for the Polaris's. I plan on getting a set for the trail boss and checking them out. He planned on having a test set made next week sometime.

Old 11-14-2000, 08:00 PM
Trailblazer

I too have spoken with Gary, and my set of rear pads are on the way. I'm really looking forward to ripping out the original softies, and putting in a serious pair. From what I've seen, this man is an artist. As a matter of fact, I told him to go ahead and put my name on a set of front pads whenever they're ready.

Houndog

Old 11-14-2000, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dog,
Garys rear pads were an EXACT fit on my Xplorer,they fit like a glove.Now, they are a little thicker than stock Polaris pads,so be sure to push in BOTH sides of the rear piston calipers when you install them.Best of luck and im certain you'll be happy with them,
Bill

Old 11-16-2000, 10:55 PM
Trailblazer

I too am very very dissapointed in the factory pads. I only have 370 miles on my bike and the rear pads had to be replaced. I have only used the rear brake "alone" a few times. I do ride in all kinds of stuff but 370 miles. My step brother puts that much on his sp500 in 2 weeks. Let's see......now that's $780/year if you install them your self. Not including the front pads. $$$$$
Rick