Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Ordering new X2. X2 owners inside.

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006 | 06:44 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Ordering new X2. X2 owners inside.

cfwilkins,

Thanks for posting about that little issue. I have had a similar PM in to jlewis for a few days now with no response. Paging jlewis......we need to hear from you big guy.

Old 03-22-2006 | 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

Sorry fellas, I am at a busy time with work. I will respond to your questions later this evening.
I don't know how I could miss a pm but my e-mail may have sent ot junk mail. Bad e-mail!!!
Jeff. later

Old 03-23-2006 | 11:36 AM
Weekend Warrior

Old 03-23-2006 | 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just bought an x2 and the seatback latch handle rattles all the time when in single rider mode. The fold down backrest for the 2-up position is secured into the dump box by a friction fit plug only. It is not a secure method of attachment. When the 2nd riders seat is folded up into a backrest for single rider mode, the latch which is supposed to secure it hooks onto a bar located on the front of the aforementioned 2nd rider stowed backrest and wont even engage.

This is my first quad and have absolutly no problems so far after about 50 miles. love it!!!

Old 03-23-2006 | 11:56 AM
|
Pro Rider

Thanks Drifter1. I appreciate the reply. Have any of your listed issues actually affected the usefulness of the seat or is it just more of an annoyance? Does it appear that any of the latches or connection points can be adjusted? Thanks again.

Old 03-23-2006 | 01:03 PM
Trailblazer

I would rather ride than work but........work pays for riding. Darn paradox. The dealer has ordered new parts for my machine. Yes, the latch mechanism is fauly. The cage assembly that the passenger back rest is easily misaligned and causes all the parts to mis-fit. My latches are secure but the backrest will not slide up and down properly. If the back rest doesn't slide down correctly it will not disengage the locking mechanics. Also under the backrest are three pieces of platic the can come out of their slots and viola it will not fold correctly. I think the seat (backrest) channel is not setup properly or might be under-designed. I.e., It is not strong enough. Thankfully I can still use the rear seat anytime. With a little effort it will fold. If my wife is riding with me I secure it with a bunji-cord. This also cures the rattles.
When first viewing the X2 I thought the rear seat was weak, compared to the AC, yet I like the idea of folding the seat and having a dump bed and also enough room for carrying a ton
of camping gear. Arctic Cats would require time to completely remove the rear seat and 300 + dollars for a rear bed. Plus no dumping capability.

I am still waiting for my dealer to call and tell me the parts are in. I am in no hurry though. It rides fine.
I was afraid to disassemble and thoroughly inspect the latching mechanism because of warranty concerns. But after talking with my dealer, he told me that was ok. If I need to attempt a field fix he understood. I think a good dealer is the biggest and best asset a manufacturer can have.
My e-mail is jlewis22@verizon.net
I think you fellas are as smart or smarter mechanically that I am. But if I may answer a question, feel free to write. I will attempt a prompt reply.
The more I ride the X2 the more I like it. I am planning to purchase a small scissor jack for my tool box. In some very deep ruts(2 feet or more deep) I managed to lay the X2 on its side. I attempted to push it back to its feet. This machine is heavy. I finally managed to lift it from the back. The back is much lighter than the front. The jack would help lifting. I also carry a piece of rebar 44 inches long. One end is sharpened and I have a small sledge to pound it into the ground. This is used as an anchor point for the winch. There are not many trees in sandy areas and sometime you might need a temporary anchor.

Enjoy your riding Fellas and take Momma as often as possible.
One last thing, On AtvTV they previewed the Sportsman 500 and also on the same show, the X2. The Host is not a big Polaris fan but after riding the %00 and the X2 he said that the X2 was the best 2 up machine he had ridden. Pretty cool, huh?

Ok, Ok one more thing, When I was first looking at the X2 I was asking the dealer many direct questions I had gotten from this post. He said that they were getting little if any of these problems being addressed by his cutomers. The stalling, check engine lights and etc. I have had none of these problems. NOT a single one. I have had no problems with the X2, of course except for the passenger seat. I anticipated possible problems with the seat and I can live with the rattles. My tool box rattles more than the seat. Enjoy, Jeff

Old 03-23-2006 | 11:22 PM
Range Rover

jlewis thanks for the reply. Yeah I agree I work to live not live to work!!

I have problems sliding the passenger backrest up and down when I am done, but I think this is more due to dirt being in the rollers that anything misaligned. On mine it seems like when the seat is folded down into single rider mode the backrest does not want to latch in properly. Not a big deal I was just curious if this was widespread.

Other than that I love my x2....err....I mean my wife's x2. I am waiting for them to come out with an 800 x2 I hope polaris does this next year or the year after. If not I will probably just go with an 800EFI and put a back seat on it....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 03-23-2006 | 11:47 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: cfwilkins
jlewis thanks for the reply. Yeah I agree I work to live not live to work!!

I have problems sliding the passenger backrest up and down when I am done, but I think this is more due to dirt being in the rollers that anything misaligned. On mine it seems like when the seat is folded down into single rider mode the backrest does not want to latch in properly. Not a big deal I was just curious if this was widespread.

Other than that I love my x2....err....I mean my wife's x2. I am waiting for them to come out with an 800 x2 I hope polaris does this next year or the year after. If not I will probably just go with an 800EFI and put a back seat on it....[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

That is the exact same issue I am having ... the backrest seems to not latch properly when in single rider mode. I am going to take it to the dealer tomorrow morning to check it out ... still very satisfied ... if this is the only issue with it I will be very happy 8)

Old 03-24-2006 | 12:48 AM
Trailblazer

Hi Guys, If the back rest is not fully down in its channel the seat mech does not seem to fit snugly. This was the first indication mine made as the channel was disturbed or warped. I talked to my dealer today and he said that Pol was aware and looking to issue a fix. If I push my back rest down fully and complete my seat locks all seem to engage. If this is not down fully the single rider back rest is in a bind and unable to latch. For all the fun I have with this quad.........I can live with this. But it is nice that Pol will take care of this problem for the next 3 years. I agree with cfwilkins desire for an 800 X2 yet I don't think this is in the best interest for our passengers. I too have hads those thoughts and also think an 800 for one might be more prudent. Remember we puchased these quads for our spouse. So let us not scare them off the machine. As their comfort level rises the better chance for one quad to become two quads. Then and only then is it be mine all mine! Oops I mean better for all of us. s..m..i..l..e..

If we make our families as nuts about riding as we are; All is good, Jeff

Old 03-24-2006 | 10:27 AM
|
Pro Rider

Jeff,

Thanks for the reply. This is the kind of info that I am looking for. I went to the dealer's yesterday and bought Momma a helmet and goggles and put a good chunk of money down on the X2. I asked him if he had heard of any problems with the passenger seats on them and he said no. He has only sold three so far and he sold all of them in the last month. I made sure that I could get my deposit back if it showed up and worked improperly (more of a scare tactic than anything. I want him to know that I am not going to tolerate the thing not being right.) and at least a verbal that he would aggressively help me correct any problems that I might have with the passenger seat on the thing. Of course, he said no problem. Thanks for the heads-up guys. Like you said Jeff, I got my wife started on my 800 after I bought it and she has enjoyed it so much that she is wanting to take a vacation somewhere to go riding. She started out completely against the idea and I was shocked when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday and she said a Polaris X2. She had apparently been studying them when I wasn't around. I didn't take her seriously for a couple of days. We are both pretty excited.

Quick Reply: Ordering new X2. X2 owners inside.