Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Youth Models

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 10:16 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I havn't been on here lately, and I am sure this topic has been covered, but I am looking into getting my son one of the 50cc models. He is only 4 yo, but pretty tall, and I thing that the smaller E-Tons he would outgrow real quick. I am looking for some feedback, and if the Polari's are worth the ching.

Thanks
Mark

/////////////////////////

THIS POST EDITED BY THE MODERATOR:

The ATV Connection Forum Guidelines prohibit classified direct advertising, or indirect "resale price fishing". Please use the ATV Connection FREE Classified Ads for all of your buy/sell/swap needs. Thank you for your cooperation.

ATVBBS

///////////////////////

Old 11-15-2000, 08:05 PM
Pro Rider

Don't want to burst your bubble but E-ton makes the motor & tranny for the Polaris kids quads. Polaris just put the E-ton motor in their frame & covers it with plastic.

We have over 500 miles on our E-ton 90 so far with one. The only problem so far is one fouled spark plug.

Your kids will most like out grow the smaller quads by improving their riding skills faster than physically growing.

My kid who is 11 has been riding for 7 months & skill wise he is ready for my wifes Recon, size wise he still needs to grow a little.

Old 11-16-2000, 11:06 PM
Trailblazer

I too will be in the market for some youth quads here in the future. I am glad to hear the inside scoop on who makes the Polaris quads and the fact that I could probably buy the E-tons cheaper. My real question to all those with the mini quads is this....Did any of you encounter any hassle from a dealer when attempting to buy a quad out of the recommended age range? I really can't see any purpose in buying a 50cc quad when the boy is big enough for the 90. Are those guidelines the law or just guidelines? I remember that pact expiring with the government but was wondering where that left the rest of us now? Worst case I could just tell the dealer that I race cars and that I need 3 90cc quads for my pit crew to get around on. How would they know any different that it was for my 3 boys? Just a thought. Comments or experiences anyone?

Old 11-17-2000, 02:56 AM
Range Rover

I had absolutely no problem buying a Sportsman 90 for my skinny 8 y.o. No mention was made of age requirements. When a set of bikes came in, they called us to come in and size him up. The 50cc Scrambler left no room to grow. The Sportsman 90 fit him good, with room to grow. I believe it must be the dealers discretion when it comes to age guidelines.

Shannon
'99 Sportsman 500
'01 Sportsman 90

Old 11-17-2000, 08:54 AM
Weekend Warrior

Well, I went looking at E-Tons yesterday, and the dealer had a new line called the T-Rex. It comes in 50cc & 90cc at least that is what he had, and it is a very sharp looking machine, simular to the Bombardier. the 50cc is running at about $1800, and not sure of the 90, but they use the same frame, just a different engine. The nice thing, is that they have disc hydralic brakes,oil injection, and also WORKING lights.
Has anyone heard about this new brand yet, it looks very promising.

Thanks
Mark

Old 11-17-2000, 09:14 AM
Range Rover

I’ve been looking at the Suzuki LT80 and the Polaris (E-Ton) SP90. In each case the dealer SPECIFICALLY mentioned the age limit, and asked how old my child was. They didn’t actually come out and say they wouldn’t sell me the quad, but the unspoken implication was there.

My solution is simple. When the time comes to buy a mini-quad, I will take my 15-year old daughter with me to the dealership, and tell them I am buying it for her. When my daughter, who is nearly 5’ 9”, sits on the mini-quad, the ludicrous nature of the “age regulation” will be clearly exposed for the idiocy it is. But by Jove, I’ll be legal.

Unfortunately, irresponsible behavior on the part of a few individuals who in the past used mini-quads, and other motorized devices, as mechanical babysitters, and then sued the manufacturer when disaster struck as it inevitably would, is what brought us the “Consent Decree” and the various age limitations.

Yes, I have every intention of buying a mini-quad that the Government Nannies deem too big for my child, and in doing so I will become a scofflaw. But my child will NEVER be on it without my direct supervision. I trust that you will take the same approach.

Army Man

Old 11-17-2000, 01:00 PM
Pro Rider

There are a couple of things on the Polaris I like better than my Eton. First is that on the Sportsman model you it comes with front & rear racks. These are great for carrying a lunch & water bottle for those extended rides. Second thing is appears Polaris has beefed up the rear brake.

Armyman is right about the dealers not really wanting to sell kids quads that don't meet the government guide lines. We just "bent" the truth & told them my kid was 12, so we didn't put the dealer in a bind.

Old 11-17-2000, 01:22 PM
Pro Rider

If I recall correctly the E-TON marketing manager defected to T-REX and she is really on the move with this new line. I saw a brochure but that is all.

Old 11-17-2000, 10:18 PM
Range Rover

Dressel1,

Re the T-Rex 90: It was tested in the January 2001 issue of Dirt Wheels on page 128. It only has a disc brake on the rear axle. The front brakes are drums, and DW pronounced them to be on the "weak side". While it does have working lights, they are only daytime running lights designed to make the quad easier to see out on the trails. They are not suitable for nighttime operation.

Re working lights on mini-quads: While the Polaris SP90 does not have working lights, dealer said the SP90 wiring harness is set up to accommodate them. He also said the industry generally tries to discourage children from riding at night, which I happen to think is a good idea.

Army Man

Old 11-17-2000, 10:37 PM
Pro Rider

I got my almost 11 year old boy, small for his age, a 325 Trailboss, at $3200, a real Quad at a real deal. Trouble was, I rode it, and got a 325 Magnum the next week. Now I'm on my second Sportsman (H.O.) and he's on a 425 EXP with a H.O. cam and a winch. I can't keep up with him when he lights it up. He's now 12 1/2 years old,
4'9" tall and 80 lbs.
Here's the point. Those age restrictions are ridiculous!!! Buy a good entry level quad too early and let them grow into it. It's like shoes.
These little quads, legally targeted at 12 year olds, are designed for 6 year-olds.
I got a 3 year old about ready for a mini Sportsman....Waada ya think??
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Quick Reply: Youth Models