Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

new owner 330 trailboss

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2006, 07:23 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new owner 330 trailboss

you guys are correct. there is no law regarding age and size of atv. here below you can read the law requirements of a minor in the state of california

ATV Safety Requirements

All-terrain vehicle (ATV) operators under 18 years of age must comply with the following California Vehicle Code requirements when operating an ATV on public lands. The Off-Highway Motor Vehicle Recreation Division (OHMVRD) currently provides funding for ATV safety certificate training for those age 6 through 17. For more information and to sign up for training contact the ATV Safety Institute at (800-887-2887).

CONDITIONS FOR OPERATING: MINORS

No person under the age of 18 years shall operate an all-terrain vehicle on public lands of this state unless the person satisfies one of the following conditions:

(a) The person is taking a prescribed safety training course under the direct supervision of a certified all-terrain vehicle safety instructor.
(b) The person is under the direct supervision of an adult who has in their possession an appropriate safety certificate issued by this state, or issued under the authority of another state.
(c) The person has in possession an appropriate safety certificate issued by this state or issued under the authority of another state (CVC 38503).

CONDITIONS FOR OPERATING: ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS

No person under 14 years of age shall operate an all-terrain vehicle on public lands of this state unless the person satisfies one of the conditions set forth in Section 38503 and, in addition, is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a parent or guardian or is accompanied by and under the direct supervision of an adult who is authorized by the parent or guardian (CVC 38504).

Old 03-31-2006, 06:55 PM
Pro Rider

hey i found a 2004 polaris alpha sport 180. any people care to comment on this atv for my girls huh please?

Old 04-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Pro Rider
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hey La90043 as you can see I'm a ATV Safety instructor , but like you when my kids were old enough for me to buy machines for them ,I used common sense , my oldest was 5'8" when he was 13 so I matched him to a Quad he could handle ,and the sasme with the 2 younger ones ,since that time they have all moved up tobigger machines but they do it after i taught them proper safety ..

one thing most parents don't realize is how much your kids will copy you in every day life and especially riding , my youngest son now 17 is a awsome rider and he can keep up with me trail riding , flat out fast is how we ride , one day out riding I asked him how he approached a certain section of trail and he "said it was easy dad I just copied you" !!!!!!! boy did that ring home in stuff my kids see me do .
ride safe your kids are watching you !!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2006, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

thanks deanz400 for your input. makes sense too. you know the saying. kids are a carbon copy of their parents. i and my 2 daughters will be taking the atv safety course required by the state together. that'l open up their eye's to the seriousness of safety if i accompany them in taking the course. gee and as for them copying my riding habits they'll probably fall asleep following me of bordem while on their atv's and that'll be a safety issue....!!!...LOL...LOL!!

Old 04-01-2006, 07:53 AM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by: la90043
hey i found a 2004 polaris alpha sport 180. any people care to comment on this atv for my girls huh please?
I would stay with a major brand and away from the newer Tiawanise things.

Old 04-15-2006, 03:20 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info on the clutch spring. I didn't even think about that. I was just thinking about puting a exhaust on it but can't really afford it right now. $30 for a spring sounds alot better. Do I only buy the 1 pink spring or do I need to buy several? How hard is it to change. I have a service manual and am good with tools. I am just new to working on ATV's. Aircraft and ATV's are a little different. Thanks for the input.

Greg

Old 04-15-2006, 03:25 AM
Trailblazer

la90043 you are going to love the trailboss. I have a 2003 trailboss and ride it hard. I ride with a group of dirtbikers that are former racers and I stay in the front on the trails. On the road it is a different story.... The trailboss holds up great. I have really rode it like I stole it and I have had no problems. The only things I have had to replace so for is 2 tierods and a A arm. That was all my doing. She has held up just fine. I have added a K&N and I highly recommend that. You can tell just a little bit. I am going to try the clutch spring now. I am saving up for a new exhaust one of these days. Take care and enjoy riding with the kids.

Greg

Old 04-15-2006, 01:46 PM
Pro Rider

yeah campnride thank you. for the good vibes dude! hey dude to replace that primary spring to a new one that you want to buy (pink from EPI) or which other color. take that clutch cover off. think it has 6 screw. you have to take the foot rest off first though. and also took off a left rear fender bolt thats located just below the seat to allow for easier removal of the clutch cover. so you have the clutch cover off know so inspect the clutch cover gasket for proper operation. dude before removal of the clutch cover plate on the drive clutch you must mark the position of everything with a sharpy. mark position of clutch cover plate with the spider gear and with the whole assembly. why? cause the whole thing is balanced as one unit. so if you disassemble it and dont put it back together in exactly the same position and location as before well you will loose that factory "true" balnce. your service manual dedicates and specifies the importance of it. please read the clutch disassembly and assembly chapter of your service manual be fore grabbing any wrench! but the rest is easy dude. take the clutch over plate off. it has one center bolt which i think is 5/8 and six other smaller bolts which i think a 10 mm socket will work. cover is ubder pressure from primary spring so watch for that. the six bolts take them off one by one in a cross pattern. bushing will come off maybe too so watch for that. take the stock spring out and replace with your new spring and reassemble as told previously. remember everything must be placed back in its previous position to keep the balance. gee dude i even put the six bolts back in its original location toooooooooooooooo.

Old 04-15-2006, 04:46 PM
Trailblazer

A white primary spring was recommended to me. How much of a difference did you feel when you did this?

Old 04-15-2006, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

i bought springs from erlandsonperformance.com (epi). i purchased the red one and the lite green one. so if i dont like one i'll try the other. i installed the lite green one yesterday. havent gone out and used it yet on trail, mountains and hills yet though. i did try my atv in front of my house and it does increase the rpm before the clutch engages, before the atv moves you have to give it more throttle. which in turn gives you that pull. takeoff.

Quick Reply: new owner 330 trailboss