Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

winterizing my Sportsman?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2000, 11:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am getting ready to get the Indy's ready for action and putting the mighty SP away until spring, anything special I should do? it is stored inside a garage not heated. it gets 5-40 below zero here allot in the winter.

Old 11-15-2000, 12:06 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Pathfinder, this is what I do. First wash the thing really well, take off the engine covers and skid plates and get all the mud off. Then run all the gas out of the tank and drain the carb or at least put some sta-bil in the gas and run it for a bit so it gets into the carb. Pull the spark plug out and spray some fogging oil or pour a little motor oil into the cylinder and pull it over a few times with the recoil. Spray your pivot points and brake cables with WD-40 and grease it. Take the battery out and store it inside and give it a slow charge once a month. Also you might wanna put it up on some blocks of wood to keep the weight off the tires, they will get a bulge in them due to the low pressure. I blocked up my Grizzly last winter and left my Kawa on the ground, come spring my Kawa wouldn't hardly roll. Well that's what I do and I go a bit overboard probably but they are a major investment for me anyway. Also in the spring change the oil before you get ready to ride.

Old 11-15-2000, 12:32 PM
Pro Rider

I see what you mean by the tires bulging. My Sport has been sitting on the trailer for about a month and a half, and I just went out to run some Sta-Bil through it. I took it for a spin, and it seemed to have a flat spot on the tires. A few minutes of warming them up, and it was gone. I am going to block it up tomorrow, along with my boat trailer, which I do every year.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks that sounds like a good way to put it up for the winter. I was going to plow with it but bought a snowblower instead.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:32 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks that is about what i figured i might do anyway. I was going to plow with it but bought a snowblower instead.

Old 11-15-2000, 02:57 PM
Range Rover
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh yeah you may wanna stick an old rag in your exhaust pipe too to keep the critters out. I know of some people who have had mice build nice cozy little nests on top of their pistons in their sleds and seizing the piston up.

Old 11-15-2000, 04:05 PM
Pro Rider

xepathfinder

Just to add a few points to what others have said:

1. Give the machine a good grease job to all the grease zerks. No need to leave any water or mud in their for an extended time. You probably have already done this, but just thought I would throw it out.

2. Check your antifreeze for its freezing point. You can buy a simple ball type tester for a few bucks at any auto store. You said it gets to 40 below. I would wonder if the factory mix is rated that low.

Hope this helps. There may be other things you should do, but can't think of anything right off hand.

Old 11-15-2000, 06:57 PM
Pro Rider

Hey xepathfinder, I just winterized my Sportsman for the winter, meaning got it ready for a winter full of fun. No sense putting mine away for the winter, I ride mine all year. Keep the oil fresh, and all the zerks full of grease, and have a deep snow guard to keep the rad clear of impacting snow 'case I get into the real deep stuff. Looking forward to trying out the bi-tri claws I got this spring, after all the snow melted. Should be an awesome winter. Sure I got a sled, but the quad is so much more useful. I mean really, how much fun is it really at 100 miles an hour on a sled, unless your on a frozen lake or a packed trail?

Old 11-15-2000, 10:40 PM
Pro Rider

Keep it out, snow is the best to ride on. Even with the s'mobiles out just keep your quad out for a ride once in a while instead of packing it away for the season. I sure think it's worth keeping out.

Old 11-16-2000, 09:23 AM
Pro Rider

We’ve been winter riding for two years now and LOVE it. The county we ride most in allows wheelers on the sled trails. So far my wife and I seem to be the only ones who’ve figured out it’s a fun thing to do but no matter, we’re having a blast!

Quick Reply: winterizing my Sportsman?