Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Replacing belt right now need help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 10:32 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing belt right now need help!!!!!

No the receipt has the part number, the cardboard thing the belt came in has the same number on it.

Old 04-07-2006, 10:47 PM
Pro Rider

i believe a atv with ebs should have no belt deflection. belt deflection is how loose the belt sits between both the primary and secondary clutch. it should have no play at all

Old 04-07-2006, 10:58 PM
Range Rover

The old belt had some play in it, the new one does as well not alot...but yeah there is some play in it. The thing that bothers me is i bought it used from a dealership for 4600$ cash and the thing is givin me trouble. My wife killed the belt from what ppl say on here by riding around in the snow in high4x4 but she was going like 5-10mph. So i can take the blame for that but this blows that i thought i was looking at a simple fix and now the new belt is on and it isnt fixed. bummer. Think i should get some gas and a match and see if it will burn? Thats a joke, just wanna get it fixed.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider

that play must be adjusted. incorrect play will give you the same symtoms as the older belt. and also if you ride it with that play in it, it'll ruin your new belt. you have to get the service manual to it. or maybe someone with knowledge on it can talk you through it

Old 04-07-2006, 11:08 PM
Range Rover

Ok thanks man i really apperciate the help, truely. So since the atv will pull real good in low does that mean that my clutch is ok?

Old 04-07-2006, 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

private message me and i'll give you my phone number and i'll talk you through it

Old 04-07-2006, 11:15 PM
Range Rover

I dont have a clutch puller thing to get the front pulley off, What time zone you in? I will go pull the cover off it before i call. Or am i wasting my time if i dont have a puller for the front pulley? Kills me to take anything to a dealership. I have a bunch of different pullers but couldnt find anything that would work right for the clutch housing.

Old 04-07-2006, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

remove the driven clutch. the rear one

Old 04-08-2006, 02:33 PM

I would check the clutch buttons before I did anything else.

When the clutch buttons are worn it feels just like the belt is "slipping". The clutch buttons are located in the secondary and are cheap and easy to replace. They are made of a nylon material that will wear over time. There are 3 of them and they cost $3 each. You remove the secondary from the machine by remove the single center bolt. Then with a GOOD set of snap ring pliers remove the snap ring on the back of the housing. This will allow you to remove the helix and the spring. After that look in the housing and you see the three clutch buttons. Each one is attached with a phillips head screw. When re-assembling the secondary/helix/spring you will want to pre-tension the spring by rotating the helix/spring in the clutch housing about 1/3 rotation prior to pushing it all the way back in and installing the snap ring. Helpful hint.....get a buddy to install the snap ring while you hold the assembly together.

I know this because I thought I had a "slipping belt"........it was the clutch buttons. The key to making this an easy fix is to make certain you have GOOD SNAP RING PLIERS.

Good Luck, Bob

Old 04-08-2006, 03:41 PM
Range Rover

Will give that a try tuesday, gotta wait till then before i can get the clutch buttons. Hope that might be the problem, thanks for the advice.

Quick Reply: Replacing belt right now need help!!!!!