Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Shootout

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2000, 01:21 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Previously owed a 400 explorer and rode it till the wheels fell off.Bought a 2000 sportsman and very dissipointed with it comparing to the explorer.Way, Way too heavy.Anyone else out there compare the 2 machines .I'm interested in your opinion.

Old 11-17-2000, 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

I have an Xplorer400 and have often ridden the Sportsman. It all depends on the way you ride. I used to think my Xplorer was alot sportier than the Sportsman...until I got the Scrambler.Now they both feel pretty much the same.

The Sportsman is definately more "cumfy". I am even getting one after the holidays. When I rode it I did not notice "that big" a difference in weight vs. ride in comparison. The 2-stroke does have more wheel spin and is slightly "peppier" but like I said...after getting off my Scram, they both feel about the same.

Old 11-17-2000, 08:59 AM
Pro Rider

It's strange how some of these topics come up just at the right time. You see, Yesterday after work I took my 99 Xplorer for a speedo check and a speedo comparison with my friends HO. My xplorer has 3000 miles on it and the HO has 150. Both quads are stock except for windshields. I have a 3/4 mile level paved stretch right behind my house and this is where the quads were tested. there was no wind and the temperature was around 8 C. First I rode with my quad registering 30 mph and with my friend right beside me asked him for his speedometer speed, it was 33mph. Next step was to register the speed using a garmin gpsIII+ and according to the gps my speedo was correct.(as most of you know, the longer you travel, the more accurate the gps will read and since this was done on a 3/4 mile stretch it probably was not that accurate)Then we lined up the bikes and had a drag race. We counted to three and floored both machines. Well I almost flipped my bike (wheelie) so we tried it again, but this time I had my weight over the bars. The sportsman did not wheelie, instead the rear irs compressed to what looked to be about 5 inches and then shot off.(he was sitting in a normal riding position) I got him on the hole shot by about 3 bike lengths and after that both quads were as even as they could get until around 50 mph where I had a slight edge. (I don't think it was more than 1/2mph) Anyway, we did it again in the other direction with the same results. My topspeed on my speedo was 57mph. His topspeed on his speedo was 61mph. My friend also complained that his HO felt heavy and sluggish compared to his 96 xplorer that he previously owned. But as you can see the "seat of the pants" feeling is not alway accurate. The one thing that he did mention was that the steering was stiffer on the HO. When the snow starts to fly and our trail system opens up, I will give you a full report on trail riding.

Snowride

Old 11-17-2000, 09:44 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rotaris,
I bought a 99 500cc Sportsman in the fall of 98.I also found its weight to be excessive in tight and technicle situations.

I later purchased a 00 Xplorer 400cc 4x4,both quads were equipped with 26 inch Mudrunners by Goodyear.The lighter [by 110 lbs] Xplorer was more nimble,faster,and just plain felt easier to drive than the Sportsman.Most everything felt easier on the Xplorer.

My brother,who weighs the same as me,drag raced me with the Sportsman.He took me slightly off the line.I quickly found myself about 4 quads ahead of him at 45mph.

I like most everything there is about the Xplorer except the chain drive.Polaris has just replaced my entire Concentric drive unit,they are also replacing my chain and sprockets to.

The Sportsman does indeed ride better than the Xplorer,however,you dont even notice the differance in rides UNTIL you switch quads with someone who rides the Sportsman,thats because the Xplorer has a good ride to.

In total comparison,I think the 2 stroker is a little better mudder and hill climber.I think so because it developes more wheel speed than the 4 stroke Sportsman,and its also lighter.The Sportsman is the better casual trail rider though.

Since I personally like to mud alot,im finding this chain thing to be a real issue with me.Im thinking very hard on going back to the all shaft driven Sportsman,especially if it is available in the rumored 700cc class?If Polaris would put the shaft drive on the Xplorer and leave everything else just the way it is,Id not switch back to the Sportsman, since it;s weight was a big issue with why I bought the Xplorer in the first place.I'll just have to wait and see?
Bill

Old 11-17-2000, 09:50 AM
Pro Rider

the Xplorer is zippier there is no doubt but it seems the HO is fairly even. If the Xplorer was all Shaft i would sell my SP, but the SP rides better and has shaft drive, I tried both of them out and liked them allot, I did notice some difference in tight woods handling with the sP feeling heavier but , I don't have much trouble muscling it around.

Old 11-19-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

What about a 500 Magnum HO? I think it would be the ultimate compromise. Should have almost the performance of the Xplorer, but with all shaft drive, and a 4 stroke engine (to meet AlGore's emmissions, or would that be Bush's, or is that Gore's, or Klinton or whoever is gonna win) Are you listening, Polaris? Or are you just waiting until I wear my Xplorer out more.

Old 11-19-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

A Magnum H.O would just seem like a SP with a rougher ride.What makes the Xplorer seem so much more sporty is the motor,a 2troke just delivers the power you what a lot faster without hesitation.

Trending Topics

Old 11-19-2000, 05:45 PM
Pro Rider

I would agree with you for the most part, but what I was meaning was it would be the next best thing to a shaft drive Xplorer. We both know that won't happen with the EPA emissions controls trying to rid us of eeeeeeeeeeeeeevil 2 cycles. Since we won't have a shaft Xplorer, I was hoping for a HO Magnum. It won't have the ride of the Sportsman, but at 50 or 60 pounds lighter, and the simplicity of a swingarm rear suspension appeals to me (as does $500 lower list price). For what I would use it for, it would be best for me. This is my opinion only. I would like a 4 cycle engine. Partly because it is quieter trailing cows, partly because I spray weeds alot, puttering just above idle. This fouls plugs on a 2 cycle. But I am willing to live with this until the 4 cycles have better performance (HO!). My opinions only.