Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

timing marks/TDC marker

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2006, 09:13 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default timing marks/TDC marker

Working on a 2000 Trail Boss 325. I have the service manual to do the valve adjustments.

Here's my problem. I'm having a devil of a time seeing the T in the inspection hole. I've looked that thing over and over again, and can't see a T. I have seen a couple of dots that might be close to TDC, but I really don't think they are what I'm looking for.

Any help?

Larry

Old 04-15-2006, 11:40 AM
Range Rover

OK, I found the timing mark. Difficult to tell that it is a timing mark, and not just a scrape on the metal. But it is what it is, and it does occur after the intake valve closes, but before it opens.

However, a new problem has "sprung" up. I carefully did the valve adjustments at 0.006". I started it up, and still heard what I thought was valve clacking. I opened it back up again, and checked the valve clearance again. I then pulled the rope starter to see if I could see what was clacking.

It looks like the rocker arms are tapping the cam and/or tapping the valve stem ends. Is it supposed to do this? Or do I have valve spring fatigue?

Larry

Old 04-15-2006, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

Is there a lot of play in the rockers? I would also look and be sure that the valves are not sticking. If there is a lot of carbon build up in the valves then they wont seat all the way and cause the gap to be off. If it was that then the compression will be down as well.

Old 04-15-2006, 12:07 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: dontgetbehindme
Is there a lot of play in the rockers? I would also look and be sure that the valves are not sticking. If there is a lot of carbon build up in the valves then they wont seat all the way and cause the gap to be off. If it was that then the compression will be down as well.
I don't know how much a "lot" of rocker play is. Yes, it is 6 years old. I've only used synthetic oil and high test gas in it, but it doesn't get run as much as I'd like. I guess the valves could be gummed up.

I've noticed that it needs more choke when starting up than it used to. Not much; anyone else wouldn't think anything is wrong, but it just seems a little more cold-natured than it used to be. Would that be any indication that the valves are gummed up?

On edit: I went out and looked at the play. There is at least 2 mm of play in the rocker. That just seems like too much. Valves gummed up? Springs tired? Both? Whaddya think?

Larry

Old 04-15-2006, 12:39 PM
Pro Rider

That doesnt sound like a lot of play. If you adjusted them to .006 then you ran it and checked it again and its still close to it, that should be ok. It could be the springs, if you have the right tools you can remove them one at a time and not pull the head off to do it. When did this noise start?

Old 04-15-2006, 01:13 PM
Range Rover

I really noticed it about 3 weeks ago after a Saturday ride. Seemed like it came on kinda sudden, but this motor has been going a little downhill for a year or two. They don't get run as much as they'd (I'd) like.

Larry

Old 04-15-2006, 04:53 PM
Range Rover

Got it all fixed. I just didn't see that the rocker arms had that much play the first two times. This time, I made sure there was no play at all, then I adjusted the valve by specs (0.006"). Runs good now, sounds much better.

Larry