Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Brake lights & EBS

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2000, 02:41 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you ride good fast trails with a group of people you probably have noticed that with todays ever so effective EBS, that the brake lights are hardly ever seen. I think they should start adding a device that would turn on the brake lights when the EBS engages. I only say this because of a few close calls I already have had. Several of my friends, who are seasoned riders have gotten into the habit of tapping their brakes to warn the others behind. What are your thoughts?????

Old 11-18-2000, 06:26 PM
Trailblazer

Unfortunately, I think it would be nearly impossible, since the EBS is at work whenever you let up off the throttle... tapping the brake lights will help, but the obvious solution is to allow enough space between yourself the the rider in front of you to ensure sufficient reaction time in the event of slow downs or sudden stops... you should do that whether they have EBS, or a brake light for that matter, or not.

Old 11-19-2000, 11:47 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont take this the wrong way,but I think your riding to close to your friends rear if you cant stop in time.There should be no need to add anything to the EBS to activate the brake light.Just stop riding so close,
Bill

Old 11-19-2000, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I do leave more than enough space between the next rider and myself and so do most of my friends. You see, the trail system we have requires that all quads 98 or newer have working brake lights. Even when I started riding in 89 all quads except polaris did not have factory brake lights. Most people riding our trails installed their own at the time because of the obvious safety reasons. I think its probably due to the fact that after riding for 11 years and seeing brake lights that I have gotten used to them. When you let up off the gas on your car it slows down slowly, not fast like an EBS equipped quad. I am sure most of you when driving your car have, at one point, been behind someone whose brakelights did not work and the first chance you get you will pass him. Do not forget our trails are fast, smooth and snow/ice covered and our average riding speed is around 45-50 mph.

Old 11-19-2000, 12:56 PM
Pro Rider

Not a bad idea. Until they come out with it, I suppose tapping the brake is the best thing you can do. My brother-in-law has a 500 Magnum that slows down with the EBS like the brakes were put on, so I know what you mean about not having much warning. Also, the bright red light is a good alert for people who may be sightseeing more than watching the person in front of them.