Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Removing oil injection..wise choice?

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2000, 06:56 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i agree with swac, it most definitely will save you on the amouint of oil you are using. it will also prevent the fouling on plugs when ypou are at low rpms, due to the constant variance of oil being mixed. and you can stop and fuel up any time you are near a gas station.

after getting rid of my lt250r, i would not have bought another 2 stroke unless it had oil injection. i ride too far most of the time and too long to have to worry about premixing or carrying oil. i usually just stop at a gas station once while i am out riding and refuel. also i ride alot of trails and i go slow alot of the time, on tight, rocky trails. with the lt, i would alwasy ahve to have an extra plug with me because it would load it after a while. the last reason being that i get probably, hmmm, i am taking a guess here, about 5 tank fulls out of a quart of oil.

but, from what i understand, if you are running a highly modified, or an engine with head work done, and porting, you have to premix. what happens is when you are running modified, you are using alot of gas, and the injected oil just gets washed away, and thinned out too much by the large amounts of gas being used. so you have to go with a premix.

i'd rather not have to deal with the hassle of premixing. by the way... does anyone know exactly when you should switch over to a premix? i just have an rcr kit now. i plan on putting delta force reeds in, and probably a roller clutch by next summer. oh, and replace the stock with a wiseco. it should still be fine running the injection, right??

bigdevil '99 scrambler 400 w/rcr stage 1

Old 11-19-2000, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

How much weight does it save?
Will it be noticeable?

How much weight will it save ?
Will it be noticeable?

Old 11-19-2000, 10:48 PM
Pro Rider

Judgeing by the size of the oil injector + the weight of that heavy cable that activates it you may get a whole pound lighter. I just use helium in my tires. ha ha ha.

Old 11-19-2000, 10:59 PM
Pro Rider

Thats it?! After all the posts I have read I thought it would at least be 5 to 10 lbs. That is including the full tank of oil...

I think it will stay intact for now.

Old 11-19-2000, 11:13 PM
Range Rover

The polaris oil injection system is as fool proof as the oil pump in your car. It also saves oil and fouled plugs just like was said above. It is variable, so at idle it will be giving a mixture of around 100 to 1 then if you wick it to WOT it instantly richens up to around 20 to 1. It is a very sound system, just keep your oil tank and filter clean and it should give many years of trouble free service.
See Ya Drew

Old 11-19-2000, 11:21 PM
Pro Rider

I agree SCDRew!

If I felt the oil injection is leaning out, I look to the manual and read how to adjust the oil inj. input.

The only reason that I would take the oil inj. off is for peace of mind, not wieght loss. Look at wheels (-7lbs per added alum. wheel) removal of floor boards.....etc. If you dwell on it, you'll drive yourself crazy. Just decide and go.

EC

Old 11-19-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

If its a 2-stroke you should be careful if using the oil injection and a little in the tank, contrary to popular belief, too much oil has the same effect as too little, a big part of the 2-stroke is the gas itself is used to cool the motor, running too much oil isnt good.

Old 11-20-2000, 01:30 PM
Pro Rider

If you decide to do this, be sure you shake your bike a bit before you ride if it has been sitting for a while. I have heard of the oil settling out, causing all sorts of trouble. Look at your gas tank sometime. When the fuel selector is in the 'on' position, it draws fuel an inch or two from the bottom of the tank. The bottom inch or two is your 'reserve'. If all the oil settles out, how will your engine get lubed durning warm-up, until you drive it enough to shake it up. This has happened to people I know with older snowmobiles, only opposite. They had no reserve, so the fuel was drawn off the bottom of the tank. The oil settles to the bottom, and half of it gets burned during 'warm up'. When they started driving it all got mixed together, but they were running the oil too thin! After 2 or 3 hundred miles, the motors were going bad. After the rebuild, they always jostled it around a bit and had no farther problems. Maybe now the oil stays mixed better, but I thought I should warn you.