Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 10:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone

Working on a 94 400L that mice/ rats have ate the wiring up on. Fixed all wires and solder all repairs, Clean carb, and reed vavles from where it sit nearly 2 yrs. Have 120 psi compression great spark. Have to hold throttle 1/4 to get it to start. Have to hold throttle open to run. It is smothering out real bad. I removed the exhaust pipe incase the pipe was stopped up. Still no change. I can choke it and no better, the plug is not fouling out or wet. I feel like for some reason the timing is off any suggestions.

Old 04-25-2006, 11:44 PM
Pro Rider

None here... try changing your thread title to get more lookers

Old 04-26-2006, 01:28 AM
Pro Rider

when you put the carb back together you didnt change anything did you?

Old 04-26-2006, 04:04 AM
Pro Rider

Sounds like the idle circuit in the carb is plugged.
Might try a new spark plug also.

Old 04-26-2006, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: scrammersam
when you put the carb back together you didnt change anything did you?
No changes, I can blow though all ports in carb. If it was just the ide circut it still should run wide open I think. Its just wont run wide open, the idleing thing is not to big of a deal, id say if i could find out why it wont run at 3/4 to full throttle then I think it would start idleing. Is there a circut that adjusts the timing on this thing? Does the brain box do it?

Old 04-26-2006, 07:35 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

no there isnt a curcuit just for that. the idel curcuit would not effect full throttle. the piolet jet is from idle to 1/4 throttle and the main is from there to full. sounds stupid but did you make sure the exhaust is not plugged from mice or wasp making nest.

Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
Pro Rider

Did you replace the air filter?

Those paper filters can be clogged and still "look" fine.

Old 04-26-2006, 11:06 AM
Pro Rider

First thing did you put new gas in it. Second when you pulled the carb apart ,where the idle screw touches the slide was the a grove wore in the slide. Those carbs, After years of use, the idle screw will dig into the slide and make it impossible to turn up the idle. For the wide open part. first thing-new gas? It soulds like the main jetting is off. It may look clean but, it could be leaned out. Also after sitting that long I would add oil to the gas untill you know forsure that the injector is working.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:41 PM
Pro Rider

I all ready tried all this, Removed the muffler, I cleaned and put new gas in it, the main jet is clear and cleaned, and I had added a little oil in the gas. This why I think its in the timing due to all this is been tried.

Old 04-27-2006, 04:57 PM
Trailblazer

if i am wrong someone please correct me... but what your asking about the timing is controlled by the posistion of the stator behind the flywheel. If your timing is off then you will have to take the flywheel off and adjust the stator behind it... more than likely if it ran before it was parked then the timing is fine and don't mess with it... but if you really want to the pull off the recoil on the right side and take a look.

maybe if the starter was off the machine something could have crawled in there and messed something up. but it sounds to me more like a air/fuel problem. again if it is timing i would look at the wiring you said the rats chewed up... more likely the wiring is damaged then the timing is off... there is a wire running from the stator up out of the case... look it over.... hopefully that helps

Quick Reply: Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone