Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2006, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Thoughts on This ? Anyone

Once you get it fixed. Place a small strobe light. (About the size of a key chain light) underneath your quad. With it being such a small strobe, some of these will work for 10,000 hrs, thats about 14 months. During the day you want even know its there, but during the night its will get rid of your rat problem. You can get them from REI or LL Bean. If you have rats in the attic you can get an electric strobe light and plug it in and your rat/squirel prob is gone. I believe the smaller ones have a photo sensor in it to cut it of when theres enough lite. Then on when dark... It will keep it from happening again after you get it fixed. Just a thought.

Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 AM
Pro Rider

Ok heres what I have done. I recleaned the carb, Looks good. Another new plug. Sprayed gas into carb running. Tried overide button, Unhook the limiter, No change at all, its still smothering out. Still have to hold throttle 1/4 to keep it running. Recheck the wiring all are good. The battery is new and it is charging when its running too. So what now? Burn it!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 05-04-2006, 09:28 AM
Range Rover

How about the FUEL PETCOCK. Maybe the years of sitting have just gummed up and restricted the flow. Do you have an INLINE FUEL Filter that may be causing some flow restriction! Must be something simple if you've done everything thats more technical.

Old 05-04-2006, 04:15 PM
Pro Rider

New filter and new gas, i looked in the tank its clean, and with the fuel line off and turn the gas on it pours out the line. I would say it is something simple too, but what it is, is the problem.

Old 05-05-2006, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

I'm gonna think out loud for a minute...
To me it sure sounds like the main jet (or main jet circuit) is partially plugged, but... you say that the carb is completely clean, and you have sprayed additional gas into the carb when running, with no change after trying these things--not too lean. Also, the plug is dry after it boggs down--that rules put being way too rich.

Assuming that the above is true, that only leaves spark. This could be tested with a timing light--not to see timing marks, but verify that there is spark when it boggs down (the timing light is triggered by the spark impulse in the plug wire). Hook up the light, and while watching the consistancy of the light, rev it up.

Now I'm done thinking out loud.

Old 05-05-2006, 07:50 AM
Pro Rider

I do have a timing light and tried that. It lights up good when its smothering. I have posted from the beginning that I felt its in the timing. I know it has good spark and blue in color. I know a weak spark is reddish in color. Like I said the mice ate just about all the wires up and cant help feeling that the wires from the stator to the cid could have something to do with the timing. The manuel shows how to check the timing but it also is to advance as the rpms goes up and thats where I have trouble figureing out. I have solder all wires that where ate up and heat shrinked them up as well. Please keep thinking out loud. lol I need all help that I can get. I know timing is something that is probley never messed with but someone has to have an idea how to check it. Im sure school of hard knocks applys here.

Old 05-14-2006, 03:21 PM
Pro Rider

After all the checks and tests, it is in time the best I can tell. I have ordered parts for the carb and hope that will fix it. After running it some more I belive that it may be running rich, even though the plug looks good. It is a hard machine to diagnose. The jet is the one that should be in there so is the piolet jet. Fuel level is good according to the repair manual. It smokes real bad and burns your eyes the more its run. Seems to be running rich. All parts are in the carb, none have been left out. I am hoping new carb parts will do it.