Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

'05 Scrambler clutch springs - confused

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2006 | 04:02 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default '05 Scrambler clutch springs - confused

I have read alot of posts on this board about clutch springs - some people recommend one spring from one company, and some recommend another spring from another company. Some companies blue spring might be the same as another companies white spring. If they are teh same - why go with one companies spring over the others?

On that note, can someone spell it out for me on exactly what clutch springs I should get?

2005 Scrambler 500 H.0. Right now, its 100% stock. In the near future I will add a K&N, and possibly (although I havent made up my mind yet) I might get a slip on pipe. I live at 4800 feet elevation, and constantly am riding over 6,000 feet (6000-8000). I love the machine, but I feel like the current tranmission setup is holding me back (Stock). Ive read people saying they have no problems pulling the front wheels on their scrambler 500s, I cant do that - and I think the tranmission is holding me back (and probably the elevation?). Thing runs GREAT - but just "feels" like the transmission setup is holding me back and I think springs will help.

I typically am doing trail riding - so top speed is not really an issue. Dont want anything too high reving, since sometimes im "rock crawling" but I would like to do "something" to make it better.

Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-02-2006 | 08:28 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Give Rick Ritter a call on the clutching for your elevation.I bet he tell you to go with a Dalton sping in the primary and a set of weights.I am not sure on clutching for higher elevations but if you were here I would tell you to go with a Dalton blk/white or Polaris green primary and either the HPD violet or Aaen blue secondary with stock weights.

Old 05-02-2006 | 10:43 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ftwflh
Give Rick Ritter a call on the clutching for your elevation.I bet he tell you to go with a Dalton sping in the primary and a set of weights.I am not sure on clutching for higher elevations but if you were here I would tell you to go with a Dalton blk/white or Polaris green primary and either the HPD violet or Aaen blue secondary with stock weights.

X2

Old 05-03-2006 | 11:59 AM
|
Trailblazer

Thanks guys.

I'll give him a call and see what he suggests. Im sure this will all make much more sense once I start swapping out springs and see how the machine reacts once I do.

Thanks again!

Old 05-03-2006 | 08:32 PM
Pro Rider

I have tested alot of springs and my conclusion is this : some people like the higher engaugment springs but the 500 scramm makes alot of its power down low so you are losing all that low end torque the higher engauging spring may feel more powerfull but that is because of rpm's before it hits and you are losing alot of your trailability. Now the stock spring engauges low which is good but its shiftout is low so you need something with a higher rate on top.
With all this being said the EPI pink is the spring of choice for me engauges just off idle and full shiftout at 160 compared to fullshift out on the stock which is around 90 to 115.
Now i know some are gonna argue that the aggressive springs are better but I do not agree.

My set up is 44/38 helix 47 gram weights HPD violet secondary set at 2/2 and EPI pink primary I like the lighter weights to keep the rpm's up for the mudd and playing in the gravel pitts.

To each there own but I like my setup for the mods I have and my driving

Old 05-03-2006 | 11:20 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!

Originally posted by: Alpine2
I have tested alot of springs and my conclusion is this : some people like the higher engaugment springs but the 500 scramm makes alot of its power down low so you are losing all that low end torque the higher engauging spring may feel more powerfull but that is because of rpm's before it hits and you are losing alot of your trailability. Now the stock spring engauges low which is good but its shiftout is low so you need something with a higher rate on top.
With all this being said the EPI pink is the spring of choice for me engauges just off idle and full shiftout at 160 compared to fullshift out on the stock which is around 90 to 115.
Now i know some are gonna argue that the aggressive springs are better but I do not agree.

My set up is 44/38 helix 47 gram weights HPD violet secondary set at 2/2 and EPI pink primary I like the lighter weights to keep the rpm's up for the mudd and playing in the gravel pitts.

I run the yellow primary spring which has a little higher engament than stock and the green(Dalton blk/white) and a comparable shiftout as the EPI pink but I run 49gram weights to get the rpms down on engament and topend.This is setup for mainly midrange power with no loss to lowend .MY secondary has alot to do with the shiftout and top rpm too.
Now I love the pink spring in my 330 Trailboss but had to change the secondary to get the rpms down a little on top on it too.I need to try it in my Scrammy some time to give a fair comparison.

Old 05-05-2006 | 01:56 AM
Pro Rider

OMG!?! the dalton black-white is the Green!?! I wonderred why no one talkes about the Polaris green primary anymore... back in 2000 when i joined this forum (under the name 325boss... sorry if i offended anyone... i was like 13!) anyway, back then the green was all the rage! then i didn't hang here so much... and i guess i missed the transition... thanks for that bit!

(hope i didn't mis-understand you ftwflh...)

Old 04-21-2007 | 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Alpine2
I

Just bought a used 2004 with an unknown clutch kit--- I hate it. Engages so high on RPMs that I've got to use the reverse override.

Since I don't know what clutch kit is in the Bike now. What would be my best/'cheapest method to allow the clutch to engage at a much lower RPM -- as stock like as possible. ?????????

Where is the best place to order the parts?

Old 04-21-2007 | 10:27 PM
|
Trailblazer

There are probably plenty of people with stock springs / weights laying around that someone might sell you for a decent price. The spring and weights are really simple to change.

Old 04-22-2007 | 09:59 AM
Trailblazer

I need to open up the clutch to see what I've got, first. Hopefully the springs will be colored, the weights labeled, and if the helix was changed I can tell.