Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

First oil change? DIY or Dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2006, 04:22 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change? DIY or Dealer

Beertruck. (blindfolded, red rubber ball in your mouth and a latex suit) Thats a total different forum bud. LOL

Old 05-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Do it yourself, then you can see the metal shavings on the oil drain plug and can tell if there is something wrong (i.e. too much metal there). Good Luck [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

I just did my first oil change yesterday, and what a treat that was! The biggest pain was getting the crankcase drain plug back in. When it first came out, I'm sure there was more than a cup so I was soaked to my armpit, then putting the bolt back in was a chore on its own. My wife had small enough hands she was able to. I struggled with that one for about 1/2 hour. I did have shavings on the magnet for the drain plug, but the screen was clean. For only 8 hours on it, I was surprised at how dirty the oil was. I fought to get the hose off of the screen fitting but that wasn't bad, the oil filter was put on with an impact I'm sure but I used an offset pipe wrench for it and that was nothing.

The only confusion was that the manual says to pinch off the vent line and run the bike for say 60 secs. and I should hear a rushing of air when it's released and that means the pump is primed. The DIY kit doesn't have the rushing of air part so I did the priming procedure twice to be safe but never heard the "rush of air". I did let it idle for a bit before taking it out with my daughter and i did notice the oil filter was getting warm so I figured the pump is circulating oil.

If anybody has any other "short cuts" which would help with the crankcase bolt I'd appreciate it, because that was a real pain!

PS I also greased all 7 joints, how often do you guys do it?

Thanks,

Old 05-11-2006, 05:26 AM
Pro Rider

You only need to purge it if you remove the lower hose, to check the screen. Or if its been drained for an extended time.

Others have done this for the first change since other threads had mentioned finding things trapped, being a new engine and all but after that it really shouldn't be necessary, as thats what the filter is for.

http://www.motor-oil-engineers.com/oilcolor.htm

Oil Color, Lubrication Ability and Contamination Level

It is a common misconception that an oil’s color is an indication of how “dirty” it is. This is not true. It is often a common tactic used at quick lubes and service centers; the technician pulls the dipstick and wipes it on a white shop cloth and shows the customer how “black and dirty” it is. Any oil will turn black after a short period of use. Some oils may stay “clean” looking longer than others, but eventually they all will turn black. This is perfectly normal.