Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Need 400 TB Advice.

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2006, 04:13 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need 400 TB Advice.

Hello all,

I just purchased a bone stock 2003 400 TB. Im sure you all have had these questions asked plenty of times. But besides buying a HPD Trail kit for it just yet. Im wanting to see just what jet kit I need , a better airbox or filter , also I found a DG complete exhaust brand new for $150.00. I dont plan on doing a clutch for it just yet. I plan to ride it this season with a stock clutch and everything else listed. OR is it better to save the pennies and buy the Trail Kit from HPD or any other recommended suppliers. What some suggestions ?

Old 05-12-2006, 04:53 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dont waist your time or cash on a DG pipe it will cost you performance.
If you want a pipe that doesnt need clutched(but does better with a spring change)
check out Dynoport pipes www.dynoport.com and I may know a guy that has one for your bike.It was on ebay the other day but I think he wants $150 for it but it will take the stock silencer.
Drop me an email at ftwflh1@yahoo.com and I will get you his info.
Brad

Old 05-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Pro Rider

save your money and get a trailmod kit. alata bang for your buck.

u can purchase an after market pipe, but a piston is recommended. like brad said, to get the full potential out of the pipe a spring along with some flyweights will be needed.

ross

Old 05-12-2006, 05:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ditto don;t mess with dg get the hpd kit or rcr stage one. the dynoport is a good pipe but the hpd would be better if you planned on modifying the bike more in the future such as porting and what not. you can still port with the dyno port but theres not as much to be gained. if your really trying to pinch a penny you can try ebay.

I got my aaen and hps off ebay they needed some refurbishing but they were cheaper. my aaen is collecting dust. warning AAEN's are loud.

Old 05-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Trailblazer

Well I was thinking about the RCR stage 1 after looking through some threads. He up'd his price to $340.00 which isnt a bad deal for 10 extra horsepower and a good clutch for it. But for the extra 2 horsepower more (39 carb) it goes to $749.00 with free shipping. Looking at the HPD Trail kit it looks like a better deal. Here's what Im thinking now just to get through this season. Get a used pipe like Brad and the others suggested (HPD), jets, and a RCR airbox. I might get buy with $200 if Im lucky. And save the money for the Trail Kit, new Polished rims and ITP Holeshots for next year. Hmmmm Sounds like I need some more riding buddies ! hehe

Old 05-12-2006, 08:36 PM
Pro Rider

The kit I quoted you on has an HPD trail pipe in it . That is the pipe I use on the later year 400's - the pipe works great and all is good . - I do charge $15 more for it , it's just economics -

Polaris changed the exhaust flange on the 400 in 2001 or so , the pipe I build doesn't fit it correctly unless you buy an early year exhaust flange . I think I am doing you a better service by setting you up with a HPd pipe in your kit , it comes with a new manifold that fits perfectly.

You have came to the right place for advice , the guys who are advising you here know what they are talking about .

Rick Ritter

Old 05-12-2006, 09:02 PM
Pro Rider

i don't understand if you said you got an HPD trail kit and want to put money into a DG exhaust,the filtercharger
is a must have item on a piped motor,reed come not any longer after to add on...
you can get a trail kit from RCR for the same level of performances with maybe a little less money,
but HPD are hard to beat when it come to MAX power mods.

Old 05-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Im really leaning more towards the RCR stage 1 now. Rick what type of clutch springs are supplied in the kit ? And with the springs is it best to change the belt to the softer Polaris belt or keep the factory one on it ?

Originally posted by: scramblered
i don't understand if you said you got an HPD trail kit and want to put money into a DG exhaust,the filtercharger
is a must have item on a piped motor,reed come not any longer after to add on...
you can get a trail kit from RCR for the same level of performances with maybe a little less money,
but HPD are hard to beat when it come to MAX power mods.
Sorry if I was misleading, what I meant was to buy what I suggested to hold me off til next season, when I buy my performance upgrades the HPD kit. But I think Ill be happy with the RCR stage 1.