Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Rear Springs on my New H.O. too Stiff - - Sportsman springs? anything else out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2000, 10:11 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think if I were pulling an elk out of the mountains I would really like these rear springs on my New, 275 miles, silver, Sportsman H.O. I sold my 2000 SP, red, to a buddy who I ride with,
and I miss the cushy ride from "Old Red". The Front springs are fine, but those back springs are so stiff the I.R.S. isn't doing as much as it could to smooth out the bumps.
If you stand at the front of the H.O. and push down, then at the back, then do the same on a regular Sportsman, you'll see what I'm talking about.
Swapping out springs is no big deal. I am assuming that the rear springs that are coming on the H.O. are the Heavy Duty springs you can get for a regular Sportsman, for guys who haul elk out of the mountains.
Are there any other springs out there? Anybody wanna Swap? Who goes first?
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Old 11-21-2000, 10:18 PM
Weekend Warrior

That is normal for I.R.S to feel stif when you push down on it,but in actualaty it has a smoother ride.

Old 11-22-2000, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, I'm sure the regular Sportsman rear springs will work, I'm hoping Somebody out there might want to swap with me, or I'll just buy the lighter springs and these can gather dust in the barn. There's no question that these springs are heavier than the 2000 SP, I've ridden and bounced on them side by side, as well as simply grabbing them with my hand and physically deflecting them. The H.O. has stiffer rear springs, period. And my Butt can tell the difference. Call it a princess and the pea kind of thing, but it is OBVIOUS.
I weigh 215 and usually carry nothing with me except for a small cooler on the front rack. If somebody needs heavier springs
because they are carrying or towing a lot of weight this is the way to go. I'm not.
I want my cake and the famous Sportsman ride too. The H.O. is great, and the stiffer suspension helps this big bad machine take to the air, and land, with more control than a regular Sportsman. But I think just swapping out the rear springs for softer ones will have me flying my H.O. and landing it in the sweet spot too.
I ride with my old (hah!) 2000 SP, and we swap rides occasionally. It's the Cadillac and the BMW. I can try to pass him on a turn or a straight going up these mountain sandwashes at 45 mph and I can't pull up on him, even when I have the chance. I can beat him in a flat out drag race- but just by a length. The difference between the H.O. and the SP is more feel and good
engineering improvements than raw speed and power.
The SP is still one hell of a fine machine.
Subtle Modifications to both machines can tune it for maximum pleasure and purpose. Both machines have white clutch springs, the SP has 48 gram weights, the H.O. 46. Both stock air filters and exhausts. The H.O. may loosen up a little,
but not that much more, I have 276 miles on it now.
Silly Later,,,,,Fourlix

Old 11-22-2000, 08:44 AM
Pro Rider

im surprised that polaris put stiffer springs in the HO. one of the famous things about the sportman is the smooth ride. i dont think it would be hard to change the rear springs. has anybody compaired part numbers of the rear springs on a 2000 sp500 to a HO??

later
jon

Old 11-22-2000, 09:18 AM
Pro Rider

There are lighter duty springs available for your HO. Polaris sells them, just ask your dealer. If he can’t find the part # let me know and I’ll get it four you.

At your weight of 215# be prepared to loose some ground clearance with lighter springs though, and you’ll get some “squat” on acceleration from a stop.

Old 11-22-2000, 10:42 AM
Pro Rider

Check you tire air pressure to see if it's to hight.If it does have stiffer springs they will soften up in about 5 years.I did not know the made stiffer springs for the back but it probably would be good for people who do heavy work for with there bike but who whats a SP with the ride of a Magnum.

Old 11-22-2000, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

Part numbers on "00" and "01" springs are the same. Softer springs are not available for the rear, only firmer springs.

Old 11-22-2000, 12:01 PM
Pro Rider

fourlix,
It seems to me that if you have a weights that are lighter and a heavier spring the bike will rev higher. Is there much difference in RPMs. I have a clutch off my 98SP500 with good weights on it. I plan to drill a small hole in them to lighten them up a little, and go with the white spring. How will this effect take off, and RPMs. I am sure it will raise the RPMs slightly, however, I am not sure how much.

What do you think?

Greg

Old 11-22-2000, 01:34 PM
Pro Rider

No WAY ChopperBill. These rear springs are stiffer on the H.O. I'd bet the whole quad on it. Grab a hold of the spring on a H.O. then a 2000 Sp. Move it side to side. Then bounce on it. The H.O. spring barely moves, The SP spring can be deflected easily, about an inch, the H.O. spring about a quarter of an inch. I can push down on the back of an SP and it will go down about 6 inches, about 3 inches on the H.O. I just ordered two springs, $28 each, from my dealer.
I want that loose, buggy ride suspension back.
and hey Greg, we're talking suspension here,
clutches are on different posts.
Time for a new post. AAen long duration cam in a H.O.
Silly Later,,,,Fourlix

Old 11-22-2000, 09:09 PM
Pro Rider

Fourlix: Mayby I'm stupid or just cant read but he parts books and the service manuel both state that the springs have the same part number and are 100lbs/in. If you can push down on the back end of the one Sportsman and it goes down 6in. than I would guess it has something wrong. Having sold in the neghborhood of 100 Sportsmans and serviced at least that many I have never seen one compress that much. The nature of IRS is that the wheels tend to go outwards when they compress and if you do that to a stationary machine the "scrubbing" action of the tires will keep it from compressing.
If yours is riding hard that it seems that noticable I would guess you have some other problem.
My two HO's ride like a dream it is the front that I had to stiffing up after adding a winch and all my other gear.

Quick Reply: Rear Springs on my New H.O. too Stiff - - Sportsman springs? anything else out there?