Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

outlaw vs. z400/raptor 700r

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outlaw vs. z400/raptor 700r

i searched and didn't find a previous thread on this subject so forgive me if this has been discussed before. in recent issues of dirtwheels and 4wheel action the outlaw was pitted against the z400 and raptor 700r. however, it didn't do as well as i thought it would. i had assumed that it might come in second to the almighty raptor (just kidding) but i had imagined that it would at least do better than the z400. the jist of the articles was that the outlaw has great ground clearance and a plush suspension but that was about it for its strong points. for negatives they listed it as being a bit porky, having weak low end power and it sometimes went where it wanted to and not where the rider directed it. any opinions on this?

Old 05-24-2006, 04:04 PM
Pro Rider

I can see where it would lag performance wise with the IRS ... how much extra does it weigh over the pred? I haven't checked the specs, but with the IRS tendency to "squat", it will rob a bit of the power just in compressing the suspension. Cornering and such is probably suffering a bit as well where the IRS will tend to lean vs. slide. Perhaps Polaris missed the torque curve .. the pred is a fast revving machine isn't it? And has basically the same motor I think .. so with the extra weight and squatty IRS, that would certainly make the Outlaw seem "sluggish" in the lower rpm range.

All that aside, I bet the outlaw is a hoot to ride .. IRS comfort and sportquad performance .. who could ask for more?

Old 05-24-2006, 07:45 PM
Pro Rider

the outlaw has its own riding style, you cant ride it like a straight axle and if you ride it like a ute youll be slow. the irs will allow you to slide through the corners, just a differnt aproach. you can take a big sportsman and fly through corners sliding easily, if you expect it to handle like a pred your wrong.

you cant really compare it to anything yet. theres nothing like it.

its power is really awaken when you put a pipe on.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

a few of my buddies ride the Preddys and I let them ride my outlaw and the first thing they say is how smooth the suspension is. The rear does squat a bit, it will slide, and it will fly. But as mentioned above, you have to drive it differently then a preddy. As far as corners go it corner very well, it may lean about 1" at the most but it stays very flat as far as I'm concerned. I bought it for fast trail riding. I have done no mods to it as of yet. As a matter of fact its due for its first oil change. But I gotta say, I really like the Outlaw, more so then the Preddy. This is only the first of this new breed of IRS sport atvs, I guarantee you it won't be the last.

Old 05-24-2006, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

The problem with many of these test, is there only a one day test. And most of the testers are solid axle gurus, so they try to ride the Outlaw like one and it just doesn't work that way. So when it doesn't do what they thought it would do, they discredit it. It takes a little to get used to, but once you do, watch out. I raced mine twice so far in the 35+ C class in 2 XC races. My first I came in 3rd, but I beat 39 out of 42 that raced in all 4 C classes even the young guns.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] My 2nd race was just over a week ago and I got my first ever win since I've raced. So the more you get used to it, the faster you will go. For some it will take time, but me it didn't take long because I've had many IRS utes.

Old 05-25-2006, 03:17 AM
Pro Rider

Congratulations on teh win GE4x4! I agree with you on teh Outlaw.
Do you have any links to a race story /results of your win??

Smiley got a little writeup in ATV rider this month and they mention him in some others , Partons doing well on it!

Seen the holeshot in the GNCC race on tv the other day and he finished 9th i beleive, but was back on the Pred.

Jim

Old 05-25-2006, 06:32 AM
Pro Rider

AGP Race

I got 5th overall, and there is a pic of my yellow Outlaw.

Old 05-25-2006, 06:36 AM
Pro Rider

looks like an awesome time!!!

Old 05-25-2006, 03:14 PM
Pro Rider
Lets Ride!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hated the Outlaw, and I can now see why Matt Smiley couldn't race one.

I just got a chance to ride one for the first time and I did not like it at all.

The IRS is smooth and works great at lower speeds, but when you start pushing this thing very strange things start to happen. It is totally unpredictable at best. The thing starts swapping all over the place and unlike a soild axle you can't give it gas to help flatten things out and make corrections. Giving it gas only makes things worse.

And forget turning and firing out of a corner, it's not happening. You have to turn corners and not slide them, and to get it to slide you have to hang off the inside a bit more to feel safe because it's begging to high-side.

Jumping was scarier than hell.... on anything other than a PERFECT launching ramp that you can roll up. If you need to be on the gas while leaving the ramp you never know which way the thing is going to launch. I hit the same small 2nd/3rd gear double about five times and every time was an adventure.

I was so happy to get back on my KFX.

The IRS will never work for MX, and even perfected I don't think it will ever replace the solid rear axle for racing in the woods. Not to mention the COST of racing an IRS sport machine. It's bad enough to buy three Elka's and two set of A-arms, imagine the cost to Joe Racer for that setup all around.

Matt Smiley pretty much quite his job over the Outlaw, he obviously prefered his Predator since he was still racing it in spite of his obligation.