Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

HOT!! LEG

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 08:12 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOT!! LEG

I have 05 500 ho sprotsman hunter. I'm not into the racing thing any more, so I use it for riding around my property up and down the trails, hunting and fishing.
My right leg gets VERY VERY hot due to the fact that the side of the body on the 500 has a 18" long by 6" wide gap........ is there any thing I can do to the body of the 500 that will stop this and make it alot more enjoyable to ride. Thanks Guys

Old 05-30-2006, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider
Default HOT!! LEG

running that heat tape comes to mind. .

Old 05-31-2006, 03:45 AM
Trailblazer
Default HOT!! LEG

Or, you could put some alluminum foil on the inside of the plastic beside the exaust. That should help alot. My 03 has foil on it. And it never gets hot.

Old 06-01-2006, 12:15 AM
Pro Rider
Default HOT!! LEG

is that "aluminum foil" not just heat tape. or did you get a roll out of your kitchen and put it on

Old 06-01-2006, 01:13 AM
Trailblazer
Default HOT!! LEG

kitchen, lol

Old 06-01-2006, 01:26 AM
Pro Rider
Default HOT!! LEG

What Bdweiser is refering to is actually called heat sheilds. It has a foil side to reflect heat away from the surface it's attached to. It usually has some type of insulating material under the foil surface and an adhesive backing to attach it to the area you wish to reflect the heat away from. Heat tape or header wrap as it's sometimes refered to, usually comes in rolls and is applied by wrapping around the header/ exhaust pipe to prevent excess heat from radiating off the pipes outer surface. There are also ceramic and other coatings that can be applied directly to the exhaust system components to prevent radiant heat but can be somewhat more expensive than sheilds and/or heat/header wrap. Wrapping the exhaust is said to give a slight performance gain in most applications due to fact that it can increase the engines thermal efficiency(ability to remove heat from the engine).If you are just putting around slowly it's doubtful that you are moving enough air around the exhaust system to keep it cool. I believe I would check with a Polaris dealer and see if there are some heat sheilds for your machine. Your's may have come off at some point and just need replacing. Next I would wrap the exhaust pipe from the front back to the muffler/silencer. You can get the heat/header wrap at most any auto parts place that carries any type of high performance parts.(Advance Auto, NAPA, Pep Boys,Auto Zone etc.).With both of these in place you should notice a drastic difference in the heat level. Keep us posted on what you do and how it works out. Oh yeah, nearly forgot - Welcome aboard. Some great people on this forum that will help you if they can. Just be patient or keep posting if you don't get an answer to something. Sometimes everyone is tied up and can't reply for a few days. Just keep trying and someone will help you when they can[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 01:46 AM
Trailblazer
Default HOT!! LEG

Haha Fireslayer, you type a bunch. And your right. Do you know how many posts you have to have in order to be a range rover or a pro rider?

Old 06-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Pro Rider
Default HOT!! LEG

at 200 i think your a pro and maybe 100 for range rover. lol i have no idea.

Old 06-01-2006, 01:55 AM
Trailblazer
Default HOT!! LEG

okay, well thanks for the ideas[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 AM
Pro Rider
Default HOT!! LEG

Sorry BD., It took me a minute to find it, but scrammersam is correct. 100= range rover and 200= pro-rider. Click on the "help" block out beside Today's New Topics" and scroll down the window that pops up and you will find the list.