Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2006, 06:21 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI

I can't see how the Carb model of the 500HO would be more powerful than the EFI. Polaris would be shooting themselves in the foot to do that.

As far as the EFI problems on the 500 are concerned, I believe that the newer releases that you would be looking at right now would be unlikely to have this trouble. I've got nearly 400km on mine now (250 miles approx. ) and I've only had the stall issue three times. Twice coming to an immediate stop after a steep hill descent (EBS on), and once after being hard on the throttle and then jamming on the brakes. The three times it did stall, I simply turned the key, and off I went again.

What quads have you ridden in the past rtboy?? I find my 500 quite peppy for a smaller cc'd heavy quad. She has no trouble getting up to 50mph, and does so quite quickly for a fully dressed quad. I've only managed to reach 55mph on her as of yet, and that was into a pretty good wind with the sail of a windsheild I have holding me back I'm sure ... She'll roast tires in 4x4 on gravel, so I guess you need to determine just how much power you really want ... if you're new to ATV's I'd say go with the 500 as the more tame of the two. If you've already got lots of seat time, then go for the 700 ...

Old 05-31-2006, 01:10 PM
Weekend Warrior

Hi Everyone
I have a 2005 Sportsman 500HO and I can say That I love it, got it to 55mph on flats and I have yet to find a place where I could not go,except dry unpacked sandy places like Dunes.
The only problem I have had is as Elbongo said about a scary off-camber situation where tipping over is a possibility because of their top heavy feeling, which is true, But you can, with more experience handle those situations.
Sometimes I Wished I would have gone with The Sportsman 800 But the way I ride I would most likely be killed on it LOL! As far as the EFI goes if your constantly going from hot, cold, high, low elevations it is useful otherwise save your money.
Just my humble 02 cents!
What ever you do have fun and when riding the more the Merrier!!!

Old 05-31-2006, 01:19 PM
Range Rover

I have an '04 700efi and I wouldn't trade it for anything smaller. The power on this is incredible and with the advances over the last 2 years, I would say get the 700 efi for sure. As was said before the 500efi is in its first year and they are still working out the bugs. I know my 700 was a first year efi, but I was unwilling to wait. I have never had any problems and I love it. My buddy has a 600 carb and my beast smaokes his everytime. If $$$ is not the issue, go with the 700 EFI.

IMO,

Old 05-31-2006, 04:45 PM
Pro Rider

[quote]
Originally posted by: stendori
you could also consider the sp 450 if you dont mind the carb. it has pretty good power for what it is. it is real close to my 02 500. of course the efi is a little more power and reponsive, my 800 throttle is right their when i call for it. if price is a big issue and efi isnt i would recommend the 450. if not get the 700 w/ out the problems of the 500 efi. (side note) if fuel milage is a main concern beware of the twins like the gas when you play hard where the 450 and 500 are way better.[/

Heard the sportsman 450 can't go up the steep hills because of how much it weighs and you have to put it Low gear

Old 05-31-2006, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01
I can't see how the Carb model of the 500HO would be more powerful than the EFI. Polaris would be shooting themselves in the foot to do that.

As far as the EFI problems on the 500 are concerned, I believe that the newer releases that you would be looking at right now would be unlikely to have this trouble. I've got nearly 400km on mine now (250 miles approx. ) and I've only had the stall issue three times. Twice coming to an immediate stop after a steep hill descent (EBS on), and once after being hard on the throttle and then jamming on the brakes. The three times it did stall, I simply turned the key, and off I went again.

What quads have you ridden in the past rtboy?? I find my 500 quite peppy for a smaller cc'd heavy quad. She has no trouble getting up to 50mph, and does so quite quickly for a fully dressed quad. I've only managed to reach 55mph on her as of yet, and that was into a pretty good wind with the sail of a windsheild I have holding me back I'm sure ... She'll roast tires in 4x4 on gravel, so I guess you need to determine just how much power you really want ... if you're new to ATV's I'd say go with the 500 as the more tame of the two. If you've already got lots of seat time, then go for the 700 ...
I rode a 1999 sportsman 500 and a kfx 400 and a raptor I am kinda new to the new utility

Old 05-31-2006, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: NLWarrior01

So you are saying that if I get the 500EFI I won't have any stalling issues? Because of the newer models because polaris fixed the problem on the 500EFI

Old 05-31-2006, 05:34 PM
Trailblazer

Well all the bugs in the 500 efi have been resolved. As for power now that I got the ecm update it has just as much power as my old 700. It has a big difference in power compared to the 500 ho. I love it now. I don't think I would buy a 700 or biger anyways. The 500 fuji engine is as good as it gets. The polaris 700 and up has some problems.

Old 05-31-2006, 08:26 PM
Pro Rider

THANKS but I also heard that the 500EFI has a plasic melting issue

Old 05-31-2006, 09:03 PM
Pro Rider

Mine hasn't melted .. not yet anyway .. I had a burning plastic type smell for the first few rides on the bike, but have not smelled is since, and there's no hole with 400km of riding on ..

Old 05-31-2006, 09:33 PM
Pro Rider

So I have heard about the 500EFI throttle cable and did you have to adjust it and how is the fuel gages and does it work on the 500EFI and will the occasional stailling go away and should I check with the dealer to see and if there is a problem will it go away?

THANKS

Quick Reply: sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI