Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2006, 05:33 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI

OK everybody the stalling issue on the 500 efi is resolved. The simple ecm not ecu fix is out and all is fine. Lots of people want the update to gain the extra hp. I was the second person to get the fix and it works great. I did regret buying it at the beginning but now with all the issues resolved, it is the best one I have had so far. I buy a new one almost every year so I know. It now has just as much power as my 2004.5 sportsman 700 (carb). Hope this helps someone.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:00 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: rtboy
So I have heard about the 500EFI throttle cable and did you have to adjust it and how is the fuel gages and does it work on the 500EFI and will the occasional stailling go away and should I check with the dealer to see and if there is a problem will it go away?

THANKS
Throttle cable adjustment - Pop the top off of the ETC box (thumb throttle is mounted to it). Operate the throttle and you will see a set of contacts inside the box that move appart from each other. The contacts should have about a 1/8 to 3/16" gap between them when the throttle is not pressed. If the gap is to small, or no gap at all, then there is a rubber boot over the throttle cable on the right side handlebar. Pull the boot back and turn the adjuster until you get the correct gap in the ETC switch. The ETC switch is a safety feature that shuts off the ignition if the throttle cable sticks open when the thumb throttle is returned. If it's not adjusted right it thinks that the throttle is stuck and it will stall. Once you've seen what I am talking about you'll understand. It's very easy and takes about 2 minutes to do. You need a medium blade flat screwdriver to pop the top off the ETC box.

Our 450's gas guage is the same as all the other Polaris's...When the first bar dissappears it's at 1/2 tank. The X2 seems more accurate, but I really have not riden that far to empty 6 gallons all in one ride.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:11 PM
Pro Rider

I should mention this fix to my dealer and get him to call polaris tech.

As for top speed on the 500efi .. I've gotten mine up to 55mph into the wind on blacktop .. that was at 6250rpm or thereabouts ... I think there might be a bit more in her, but not a big lot. maybe with the flash.

Old 06-01-2006, 06:32 PM
Trailblazer

The 500 efi is made to go up to 7000rpm and then cuts out and the regains power after 6900rpm. I can get it to 7000rpm with no problems even before the ecm update. I did notice that the efi is not as fast as the carb model. I hear everyone complain about the fuel guage well at least you have some idea of how much gas you have. This is not a car tank, it has an odd shape. Do you have any idea how hard it would be to get it to work rite. I bet lots of you have a vehicle that does the same thing. Stays on full for quite a while before it starts to drop. Why does everybody complain about there atv's. Go buy a kawi and see how much compaining you do. You would be glad you had a polaris.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:23 PM
Pro Rider

I'm the type of rider who basically fills up before most every ride wheather I need to or not. If it's a long ride that is doubtful if I can make it on a tank, I'll carry extra gas with me.

My beef with it is that they put the feature on it even though it serves no real function. It doesn't even (on mine) work as a low fuel warning indicator.

The main reason why car fuel gauges stay on full for so long before they start to drop is because of the long fill spout on the tank. Most people fill this up as well which, depending on the vehicle, can be another 5litres (over a gallon).

I don't expect the unit to work very well while the vehicle is in motion for the very reason you quote .. the irregular shape of the tank, coupled with the erratic motion of the bike since it travels primarily on very rough surfaces. But when sitting still, the gauge "should" be able to tell you within reason how much fuel is in the tank. If it's reading 1/2 I would expect the tank to be +/- 1/8th of a tank or a total of 1/4 tank range of error .. that's 25% .. pretty high by most standards, but quite acceptable under the circumstances.

It's like have the speedo on the bike be off by 40mph .. that's about the error on the tank gauge .. why have a feature on a bike that isn't properly designed to work well .. that's all most people here are complaining about.

On another note, I didn't know the 500 revved up to 7k [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-shocked.gif[/img] so I guess under the right circumstances I should expect to be able to get quite a nice bit more than 55 out of my baby .. I love this quad .. it's awesome. I just wish the damn gauge either worked right, or wasn't there at all.

Old 06-01-2006, 08:59 PM
Pro Rider

If the 500 EFI only gets to 55mph than you definitely should get the 700 EFI because 55 leaves more to be desired. I'm pretty sure the 700 EFI gets to 65 or so which is a lot more fun.

Old 06-01-2006, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer

rtboy, you said that your 1999 sportsman 500 carb tops out around 55mph. Well is that an HO or just a regualar 500? Because my 2003 500HO tops out exactly at 60mph. And it doesnt take long to reach it. That is on the pavement or hard dirt. I will go 55 top speed on gravel.

Old 06-02-2006, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

i seriously doubt the 500EFI has the power of my 700, I had the 500 H.O. and, from what i remember, i didnt have near the power my 700 has. So i dont think EFi helped THAT much. But if it does then thats great. Umm.. When my 700 was stock, i had it up to 71 on pavement. and my 500 went around 68/67. And about the fuel gauge thing, my 700 has ALWAYS been right on, always, ever since new. So this must be a newer problem with them. I love the low fuel indicator and the way it works. Its never given me any problems. But yes, the 500 should DEFINATLY get more than 55, if it doesnt. then something is for sure wrong with it. I still say get the 700, but then again i dont know exactly you're riding style, if your used to quads, or what you're using it for. You may have already stated that, but i dont feel like going back and reading it all, good luck with you're decision, and dont rule out one or the other before you buy. Test drive both, and even though they will have the same similiar feel, one may "feel" better than the other.
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Sold

Old 06-02-2006, 06:28 AM
Trailblazer

Why would someone want to drive over 55mph. Is that is not fast enought in the bush, I'm glad I don't live anywhere near you. I would be forced to sell mine. That is just ruining it for everybody else around you. Think of others and not just you. Accidents happen fast.

Old 06-02-2006, 10:01 AM
Trailblazer

Why would someone want to drive over 55mph.
This is a very good question. I have never understood the need to go this fast on an utility ATV either. They really are not stable at high speeds, thats not what they were designed for.

If what you want is speed go with the 700, its going to out run the 500HO or 500EFI, if you need to work it and dont care about top speed, the 500 will do just as much work as the 700.

Quick Reply: sportsman 700EFI or sportsman 500EFI