Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

I Sunk My 500EFI :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2006, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I Sunk My 500EFI :(

It went just far enough down to go over the snorkel. I shut it off immediately and my buddy winched me out.

The airbox was full. The intake hose was full ...

I took out the plug and pulled her over a few times and gushes of water came out.

So far I'm pretty sure I need to:

1. drain the oil reservoir
2. drain the engine
3. replace the oil filter
4. replace the air filter

A friend of mine has said to place my finger over the plug hole (what an item that is to get to!!!!) and turn the engine over .. this will help force the water out of the head through the exhaust.

Any further things I should do? Am I missing anything?? Any and all help greatly appreciated!!

Old 06-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Pro Rider

You also need to check your front and rear differential.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

So the steps I outlined for the engine should be ok?

Why do I have to check the differential, are there breather tubes which are up around the snorkels?

I've been in deep water with her before well up over the differentials ...

Thanks for the quick reply b.t.w. .

Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

Depending on how much water is in your oil you might have to change your oil a couple times. Your front and rear differentials have breather tubes that run up under the hood and if you went over them them they will take in water. How deep was you?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider

drain the water out of your clutches. theres a drain bolt hole at the bottom. mine is read and plastic. its better to take and unbolt the clutch cover and let everything air dry. put oil inside cyclinder head through spark plug hole to lubricate the cyclinder and piston rings. what about the carburetor huh? the carburetor inlet to the cylinder? that can have water. fuel lines? fuel filter? when starting for the first time just have the motor turn over with out it actually starting. snorkel too has water in it no? it goes back to the head of the engine. turn it over when your absolutely sure there is not one drop of water anywhere in the motor, carburetor. what about sand and gunk?

Old 06-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Pro Rider

keep the drain bolt off the oil plug and keep the oil filler plug off too. let the internal parts of the motor air dry for the weekend. better to take your time and not rush it. perfection takes time. and also another post might pop up indicating something else you should do that has not been posted yet that is very very important.

Old 06-02-2006, 11:24 PM
Trailblazer

Just where about are the snorkle hoses for the difs? I'm interested because I have had my ride in some deep soup too. I never filled the air box but I did come pretty close.

thanks
d

Trending Topics

Old 06-02-2006, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dutch105
Just where about are the snorkle hoses for the difs? I'm interested because I have had my ride in some deep soup too. I never filled the air box but I did come pretty close.

thanks
d
They are under the front hood.

Old 06-03-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider

You can also use WD-40 or some similar type of water displacement type of lubricant to help force the water out of the engine and gearboxes. Buy a bunch (no, I'm not a major stockholder of WD-40) and spray it into the engine and gearboxes thru every possible opening you can spray it into. Put the drain plugs back in. Spin the engine over without allowing it to start, and roll the unit around to allow the WD-40 to pull moisture off as many surfaces as possible. Remove the drain plugs and let it drain. Repeat until you feel that you 've got most of the water out. Then refill all the fluids with the correct types and go for a ride that gets everything up to full operating temeratures. (15-30 mins. should do it) Drain and refill all fluids again and you should be good to go.

Old 06-04-2006, 08:21 PM
Pro Rider

Well she seems fairly well dried out now ... I'm going to let her continue to drain overnight tonight .. pick up some oil and stuff tomorrow ..

Is the drain plug for the engine itself located on the right side under the pull cord sort of .. just inside the foot brake? I took that one out, and I'll be damned if I know how to get it back in!!! I'll have to take the damn running board off now .. oh well .. lessons learned I guess. I'll have to drain off the differentials as well, what about the transmission .. should that be fine or will that need to be done as well??

Let me know ..

Thanks for all the input!!!

Quick Reply: I Sunk My 500EFI :(