Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 05:23 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Use...Or Lack Of

Boy you really had me thinking with a nice and empassioned plea- right up until that last sentence. I appreciate your concern, not that I am without, but when you wax eloquently for 6 or 7 paragraphs and end with a knifing of "people like you" and "stupid decisions" you lose your whole effort.
You are correct, I shouldn't have gone that far. I apologize. This is just a sensitive subject for me. But really, please keep in mind that most injuries/deaths related to ATV accidents are from the following:

#1 Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs (I realize this does not apply to your family)
#2 Driving an ATV that is too large for the rider.
#3 Riding without a helmet.
#4 Doing careless stunts with an ATV.

I am just trying to let you know that so your decisions now don't give you a negative result later. Just remember, you can never take it back. If something were to happen, you cannot go back in time and change it. Put your children in Helmets at all times. It will be a decision you will never regret!

Helmets cannot protect the whole body (my kids wear boots, eye protection, gloves and chest protectors too) but even if you don't wear those things, broken bones will heal. Head injuries may not. Please be safe!

Old 06-08-2006, 06:00 PM
67x
Trailblazer

I really do appreciate your reply. For the record, at the very least, I have sat down with the kids and had a little conversation about helmets. All are in favor and don't mind wearing them- smart little buggers- so I am going to get them set up, goggles too.

The only "complaint" was my daughter about the earrings, but she was ok about taking extra care in putting it on and taking it off.

All's well that ends well.

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-08-2006, 06:13 PM
Pro Rider

Oh how I just love a happy ending!!!!
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Well done guys. It's too bad more disputes and disagreements couldn't be solved in such a civil manner. The world would be a much better place to live .. and there'd be less lawyers [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2006, 07:19 AM
Range Rover

67X...my daughter had her ears pierced a month ago and that was a concern for her as well. I already have to be real careful helping her with her helmet cuz of her long hair but now with the earrings I have to be extra careful. Funny how even though we are so far apart geographically that we have the same minor issues with our girls. I guess the world is really a small place...

Old 06-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Knows Old ATV Questions!
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found that if you are having a problem with your kids wearing a helmut, or doing pretty much anything else, you need to look in the mirror. A few years ago, my wife and I bought some bikes. We added a bike trailer for our toddler, and an add-a-bike for my son. While just riding around town by myself, I probably wouldn't wear a helmet, but for kids it is the law. So we bought everyone a helmet, and while both kids resisted at first, with gentle persuasion, a few missed bike rides because one or the other refused to wear one, and with mom and dad always having a helmet on, no more resistance. My kids are so safety conscious now that they buckle up in shopping carts on their own, come to find me to put on helmets before they ride thier bikes, and always insist on carseats. Personally, I don't think my son is quite mature enough for a quad just yet, but when he does get one, he'll wear full riding gear, all the time, just like dad. I imagine I'll have to add at least $250.00 to $300.00 to the quads price tag for riding gear, but keeping my children as safe as possible is worth much more than that to me!

Old 06-09-2006, 08:59 AM
Trailblazer

Helmet... wow, the other day I was out on trail and got wacked in the head with what I thought was a small leafy alder type tree stem....turns out it was a neatly hidden inch and a half cracked off tree limb that someone had not cut back as far as the trail line in other areas.. When it hit the egg protector it near too me off the bike. Smacked me right in the eye shield. Be aware of wolfs in sheeps clothing!

I for one wear the egg cup all the time. No questions, In fact I wear full face. I had a friend loose an eye on a snow machine one winter and having sat bed side with him and see his life change, I will not ride with a idiot who will not wear a egg cup.

My friend wore a helmet but in a instant life changed when he looked under the bonnet and pulled off the helmet to put an ear down by the machine. Its got nothing to do with ride time but it sure brought home how fast life can be changed when Snow machines or ATV's are in use. From that point to this, I try to be extra safe around the toys on and off the trails and I don't tolerate any ride buddies who do not share the same mind set.

Every other day you hear about someone around here who "if they had a helmet" or if they wore a seat belt, etc.....they would have survived. Its like smoking people.....do you really think the MAN is lying to you when they say it can kill ya?

Arrive alive, don't drink and drive, wear your egg cup, don't be an A S S on the trails....and of course, don't smoke... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Ride time is fun time, its not supposed to be the precursor to your funeral.

My .02 worth.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Range Rover

Bravo Dutch...thanks for the examples. I find it interesting that out of the whole big world out there that there are 3 Newfies on this thread who all share the same ideas on helmet use. I won't comment on the smoking thing though cuz that would definately start a whole big argument.

Old 06-09-2006, 09:41 AM
Pro Rider

Well, now that we've discussed helmet use and to a lesser degree, smoking .. shall we now turn to politics or religion?? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

It's true in many ways people are afraid to discuss things that affect our lives for fear of seeming "wussy". Yet have no trouble encouraging someone on doing something dangerous or risky, because it seems "cool".

Case in point .. most people would have no troubles encouraging someone to do a bigger jump on their quad for the next cut around .. yet most people would not offer a word of caution when their buddy saddles up without his brain bucket on .. or riding without the headlights on ... (as I said earlier .. they're not just for seeing better at night)

It's a sad human fact of life that lots of us are of the idea that "it can't happen to me"

Ride safe, arrive alive, vocm doesn't really give a $hit, despite their claims [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2006, 09:43 AM
Pro Rider
Buy it now, explain it to the wife later!

I always where my helmet except for when I'm taking a break or loading/unloading off the truck.

Old 06-09-2006, 10:00 AM
Pro Rider

I recommend everyone get a full HANS device and restrain yourself to the quad, you can never be too safe. Ask Dale Earnhardt how his helmet helped him out.

I will wear the helmet while riding "high risk", but when i'm putting around - not being able to hear the idiot tearing around the blind corner because i have a helmet on is a bigger risk to me.

Quick Reply: Helmet Use...Or Lack Of