Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Mounting a GPS

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2006, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mounting a GPS

I'd like to mount a GPS on my ATP500 handlebar, does anyone know the diameter of the handlebars?
Has anyone else every mount a GPS in other place on their ATV, and if so, how?
Thanks
Katuzo

Old 06-09-2006, 12:31 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting a GPS

Mine is on my handle bar...it is a homemade mount. I was going to mount it on my gas cap, but built this other one instead. I think the gas cap one is very do-able.

Old 06-09-2006, 02:23 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Nice job, I'd really like to mount it in the center of the handlebars, right on top of the speedometer so I would never take my eyes off the trail. That's basically how I have it mounted on my motorcycle. However, If I drill holes in the speedometer housing, I'm afraid it won't be waterproof anymore and if I left it outside, the rain would damage the internal electric wiring. Plus the speedometer housing isn't exactly flat. So I'll probably go the handlebar route myself. Too bad someone doesnt make an attachment for the speedometer housing so you could attach something.
Katuzo

BTW, how well do this ATV handle being stored outside under just a cover? Is it necessary for me to build a shed?
Thanks
Katuzo

Old 06-09-2006, 10:52 AM
Range Rover
Default Mounting a GPS

I personally feel more secure with my quad in a shed or garage. With the weather, rodents, bugs, thieves, you never know what could happen. It is a big investment in my opinion to leave sit outside[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 06-09-2006, 05:45 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

You definitely have a point, but my main concern is the weather. I started looking around at sheds, but most of the doorway are 48", not large enough for me to drive in. I was hoping to find a plastic one that never needed maintanance. I guess I'm going to have to build one with T1-11. That's what I build my 2 car garage with, and I haven't painted it since. Good stuff.
Thanks
Richie

Old 06-09-2006, 08:22 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Mounting a GPS

keep it under cover the sun is very hard on it makes it look old in a hurry

Old 06-09-2006, 09:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default Mounting a GPS

I bought a motorcycle Ram mount for my Garmin gps. It has a long enough arm that I have it located just below the spedo. It mounts on the handle bars. You can move it to many different locations. If you remove the gps only a small ball is visible on the handle bars. Totally adjustable, and Ram makes them for many GPS's. I think I bought mine through Cabelas.com

Old 06-09-2006, 09:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

I didn't think it would fade, my car don't. But they're not plastic. Luckily, it came with a cover. I'll make sure to use it.
Thanks
Katuzo

Old 06-10-2006, 01:35 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mounting a GPS

Yes....keep it locked up...if anything keep it under a tarp. I have a shed just for our 4 quads. We just saved enough for it....part of owning them. we even have it wired to our security system, and I intentionally set it off to let the neighbors know that the shed is wired.

Old 06-10-2006, 08:21 AM
Trailblazer
Default Mounting a GPS

Does the GPS vibrate much when you ride? The handlebar was the first place I was thinking of putting it, however, one guy I spoke to say mounting it on the tank would be better because of vibration. Is he right?
Katuzo

Quick Reply: Mounting a GPS