Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

How do you transports your ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2006, 10:11 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default How do you transports your ATV?

use my 8x10 snowmobile trailer and one on my truck. thats the good thing about the new park on my wheelers. i use my winch on the front to hold downs i made and rachet on the backs. i also put a 2/4 in the truck bed (gmc) in the sloted groves to prevent my brush guard going thru the back window.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:22 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 7 x 14 trailer with 2 side ramps and a full rear ramp, for versatility, I can place 3 wheelers in sideways with a full bedbox up front for storage. I also have a bed rack so I can place 2 wheelers in the bed.... It's a bit hairy but you get used to it. I also have a toy hauler with 12' of cargo space, I can put 4 wheelers in it. Ditto to instigator, I haven't broken the glass, but I've bent the bed on both of my trucks.....

Old 06-17-2006, 10:37 AM
Trailblazer

Back of the truck.

I have a really steap ditch on my property so I just back my truck up to that, which leaves about a 6" hop into the bed of the truck. 4x4 takes care of that just fine.

Unloading, so far everywhere I've gone has had a dirt mound for that purpose.

Old 06-17-2006, 10:46 AM
Weekend Warrior

I used to use aluminum ramps and load in the bed. The stock tires on my ex made that a little scary if they were wet. I had ramps kick out while loading a small tractor a few years ago and don't care to experience that again! Thrash&Trash's strap idea works well. I cut a strip of thick indoor/outdoor(rubber-backed) carpet and zip tied it to each ramp. The rubber backing bites into the ramp, and the carpet eliminated wheel slip. Blocking the truck tires w/ a couple 2x4 blocks to keep it from moving isn't a bad idea either.
My truck has a contractor cap now so I bought a 6x10 trailer w/foldown gate...Sweet! I watched a guy bust out his rear window about a month ago at Wayne National. To make things worse, it was raining. Hope he didn't have a long trip home.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:25 AM
Pro Rider

In the back of my truck, just make sure you strap it down good. I was rear ended last summer with my quad loaded in the truck by a 17 year old that dropped his cell phone and picked it up, I was behime a semi at a stop sign and did not see him comming, pushed the quad 16' into the back of my truck, straps held, quad was ok but the truck frame was done, thats what happens when a mid '70s f-150 his you doing 40mph. LOL

Old 06-17-2006, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer

I did the truck thing for snow machine and it was a major pain in the keister and many times became a circus show to make sure ski's cleared the bed, nothing got hit, the rig stopped on the dime, etc. In short, nothing but grunt work to load up and unload....

Now getting older and enjoying the ride, I love my low ride big bear trailer with ramp. My bike fits in like a glove and it sits nice and secure behind low rise walls.

The trailer tows really well and does not swing. I winch the bike to the tow bar depressing the suspension and I strap down my bike rear tow bar. All in, I can load and unload in 10 minutes...

Putting the trailer on the vehicle is even easy with a bar jack on a wheel. From nothing on the hitch to trailer on, and bike in and strapped down, I can go in less than half an hour. And the best part is I dont feel like I did a days work!

Old 06-17-2006, 01:15 PM
Pro Rider

I haul my quads in a trailer like a lot of people. But I really love my trailer. It's got a fold down ramp on each side of the trailer. So when your ready to load, you just fold it down and drive right on. Then put it up and bolts into place and you can tie the bikes to the ramp. It is super handy. Bought it from my local dealer. Trailers are a very important part of the equation in my opinion. I used to have a old truck box trailer that I would load one in and haul the other in the back of my truck. I would have to un-hitch the trailer to get the one back in my truck once I got to wherevever to get that one out. It was a total pain. Loading and unloading became a long process and I wound up not going riding nearly as often. So for those looking at this issue, I suggest you spend the little bit extra as it pays off.

Old 06-17-2006, 01:20 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I hear that trailers sold at bom dealerships are the fastest most well built trailers around.

Old 06-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Pro Rider

A fast trailer? Uh, yeah, Ok!? Must not be pulled by a Ford! LOL!!!

Old 06-18-2006, 01:03 AM
Pro Rider

Back of a F-150 2001 supercrew 5.4..... Looking at getting a trailer though. Already dented the front bed of the truck.

Quick Reply: How do you transports your ATV?