Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Help, Having doubts about my 800

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 04:08 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, Having doubts about my 800

I would like to get rid of the spacers. Then tires would rub. Seems to me that my spacers or 1.5" addition offset rims do the same thing. I guess what you are saying is that the Sportsman just isn't tough enough to run 27" Mudzilla's. Because one or the other(spacers or offset) is needed for clearance.

Spyder... I wasn't calling you out. I was just making a statement of not much support at this connection of the hub. I am bitter/sweet about this topic. I truly am glad that not many people have to go through this frustrating scenario, at the same time, if more people suffered, maybe the PoPo boys would fix it[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 07:34 AM
Pro Rider

I’ll have to say I’ve never really liked the concept of wheel spacers. It’s just something about adding that extra piece to get the space that bothers me. Your standard aftermarket wheel offset is 1”, not 1 ½”. I can’t even remember the last machine I ran stock wheels on (a ’99 500 maybe). Yes, the aftermarket wheel offset will add some stress to the suspension/drive train but in my opinion it’s negligible, whereas wheel spacers seem to cause more problems. We put a lot of miles on our trail machines, mine had 2600+ last year and the wife’s had 1800. This would be a normal year’s riding for us and we’ve never broken those bolts. All my machines have been Sportsmans since ’97. Karen started out with Magnums but has been on Sportsmans since ‘OO.

Have we been lucky? Maybe. My last 500 was an ’01 with four years riding on it and 8740 miles. The rear frame/shock mounts had to be welded and gusseted in 6 places before I could sell it but no broken bolts. Front struts were wasted. For most of its life this machine had a 2” lift, aftermarket wheels and 589s on it, was ridden mighty hard in rocks, mud and on snow trails with whoops big enough to get air. On it’s last ride we were getting air on snow whoops when the back half of the frame broke so bad it wouldn’t shift into forward, had to be towed back.

Yep, the lift kit and the wheels and tires and all the extra gear I carry and the way I ride did the machine in. But damn, what a great time I had breaking it!

Old 06-27-2006, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Backinthesaddleagain
Originally posted by: BryceGTX
Originally posted by: Backinthesaddleagain
Originally posted by: propolaris

There's no way them bolts are gonna break with normal operation, My opinion.
Mine did.
Seems to me that you do not have stock wheels. Since they are wider than stock, no doubt they have the incorrect offset. You support my post. Deep offset wheels and/or spacers will eventually screw up your suspension. I think this is pretty much common knowledge.
My stock rear tires are 11" wide and my current rear tires are 11" wide. The offset is the same as stock and I don't use spacers.
Your signature says your rear tires are 12". Stock tires are 11". You have after market wheels that I bet are offset from stock.

Old 06-27-2006, 01:05 PM
Pro Rider

I would like to get rid of the spacers. Then tires would rub. Seems to me that my spacers or 1.5" addition offset rims do the same thing. I guess what you are saying is that the Sportsman just isn't tough enough to run 27" Mudzilla's. Because one or the other(spacers or offset) is needed for clearance.
At what point are you compromizing your quads durability? Is it when you put 1.5 inch spacers or 4 inch spacers? Also, how much offset are your wheels? Judging by your pics, I would say at least another 1.5 inches.

Lets put a few numbers to these values. Your quad weighs 1000lbs fully loaded with driver. Thats 250lbs per wheel. Now we add 3 inches of offset. Thats 65 foot pounds of rotational torque you are applying to your suspension that was not there with the original parts. Now add jumping, bumps... That is the reason that no self respecting mechanic will ever suggest that you add spacers or offset wheels to any vehicle.

Now you can do what you want.. but if it breaks.. do not be suprised.

Old 06-27-2006, 05:52 PM
Pro Rider

As I have said, I have stock freaking rims. The spacers create the only offset. Either read the postings closer or learn what stock rims look like. Your post did absolutely no good here. Thanks for the wasted time.

Old 06-27-2006, 06:13 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

laides! i think we all need to take a breath and calm down! lets get a few things laid out here so EVERYONE KNOWS WHAT THEIR TALKING ABOUT

Instigater has STOCK RIMS with 27" TIRES and 1.5 INCH WHEEL SPACERS

now that everyone is clearly informed and calm, continue [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-27-2006, 06:17 PM
Pro Rider

Well, I think this horse is beat into the ground. I think that I should be able to put Mudzilla's on and apparently not many people do. I did think of something today while at work. seems that some here think the spacers are the problem. I have only had the tire/spacer combo on for the last 100 miles. So, I gave it too much credit when I said 250 miles. Basically the control arm setup is 2.5 times sh!ttier than I originally thought.

I have had a headache for 3 days now, doc said, "Sell 4 Mudzilla's and call me in the morning!"

Guess I'll go to the Yamaha forum and advertise them to the people with quads, that can handle aftermarket wide tires!

Old 06-27-2006, 06:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

have you possibly considered experimenting with a homebrew set of bolts and spacers? if you could devise a kit to improve the strength of the A-Arm mounts for larger tires, you could easly sell it on ebay and make a proffit. who knows maybe all you need are some larger bolts, lock nuts and some thick stainless steel washers.

Old 06-27-2006, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

The bolts I believe are not the problem, or coming loose either. I feel the problem is not enough support to keep the bushing from radial movement. I feel the only 2 fixes are: 1 Make the outer area of the hub material thicker and us a longer bushing. 2) move the connection in question lower and use a one piece bushing that goes the distance from arm, through hub, and through other part of arm, woith some sort of retaining device. I guess there is third too, Ball joints seem to work for other quads!

Old 06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Pro Rider

]
Guess I'll go to the Yamaha forum and advertise them to the people with quads, that can handle aftermarket wide tires!
Here is what the Yamaha guys say about wheel spacers, since we clearly know nothing.

Wheel Spacers

Quick Reply: Help, Having doubts about my 800