Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Winch cable (wire to rope)

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 08:19 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Winch cable (wire to rope)

I am going to change the wire winch cable over to synthetic rope. I have read the pros and cons, but nothing like a little real world experience to help me make the right choice!

The choice seems to be between amsteel and master pull. While the master pull has a higher rating then the amsteel , the master pull has a temperature problem were it loses strength at as little as 200 degrees or so they say.

Also I see that the Amsteel comes with a terminal to attach to the drum were the master pull does not.

Also I was wondering if there was a place that would make me a custom length with a thimble and a terminal ends.

Also if I had a special length made………how long could I make it to fit on a warn 2.5 winch?

Any thoughts here would be greatly appreciated

Old 06-26-2006, 08:34 PM
Pro Rider

You could get 60 feet on it with everything laying perfect. But in the real world 50 is max. On the 2.5 you will not need the end terminal. You will need to cut it off and thread it through the drum. Once you use the amsteel you will never go back to a steel cable.

Old 06-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Trailblazer

I just made the switch myself. I got 50' and I'm pretty much maxed out. I could not fit any more length onto my winch spool. BTW, I have a 2.5 Warn

Old 06-26-2006, 08:53 PM
ox
Pro Rider

I quit riding LONG before 200*.

Don't you?

Old 06-26-2006, 09:35 PM
Range Rover

Bradb21.................what size did you put on?

Old 06-26-2006, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

3/16

Old 06-26-2006, 10:47 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Amsteel is awsome stuff. I bought 100ft of it and put 60ft on the winch and made 2-20ft straps out of the rest. You can go to HomeDepot and get loops then make some straps. So all together I have 100ft of rope to pull with . The good thing about the amsteel straps is they dont take any room at all unlike regular straps and you can wrap them around trees or whatever you can wrap around then hook strap and pull. Dont forget that the longer the rope on the spool the lett pull rating it will have. It will have its max pulling capacity with about 30ft and pulls better as it gets shorter on the spool. So maybe you just want to stay with 50ft of rope then get some extra to make some long straps.

Old 06-27-2006, 04:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

The synthetic stuff is da bomb, but given its high break rating, is it really necessary on ur quad? We run the blue stuff on our jeep rockcrawler and we've successfully used it for many rescues. One time witnessed a rope snap and, just as advertised, it simply dropped to the ground. Wire would whip all over the place. Our jeep club went in on a large spool and we saved big $$ doing it ourselves. Even made up two winch extenders 25' each w/ thimble ends.

For smaller loads encountered on a quad w/ a warn 2.5 or so, i don't see the advantage. Most winching accidents happen due to weak attachment points or under rated shackles and they will go flying whether its rope or cable.

Everything you ever wanted to know about safe winching...and more thanks to Billa Vista.

Billa Vista Recovery Bible

Old 06-27-2006, 04:53 AM
Pro Rider

If you switch to rope, make sure to inspect the drum and fairlead for nicks and imperfections.(mostly the rollers) These will prematurely wear on the rope. I have the 3.0XT with rope. So far, I have no complaints, I can't compare it to amsteel, heard of it, but never seen it!

Old 06-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Range Rover

A buddy of mine has the blue stuff on his winch...it snapped after a month of having it on there and we only used it a few times...they may be able to hold more weight but they can wear to fast to be worth it to me...they are cut to easily...if your stuck by urself out in the woods and the only thing u got to pull you out is a big rock i wouldn't even bother tieing that synthetic to it...and i don't think a temp of 200 degrees should be a deciding factor..i mean i don't ride in ovens [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: Winch cable (wire to rope)