Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Latest chapter in Predator saga is an interesting twist... Read if you've been following.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2006, 04:03 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Latest chapter in Predator saga is an interesting twist... Read if you've been following.

Hey guys,

Well i called today to ask how the Predator was coming along. For those who missed my last post, the Pred went in to a different dealer with tranny troubles and being unable to start (do a search for full discription: "Predator breaks again, gonna sell it...") anyway, They said that they had found that when the first dealer did the tranny rebuild (which was my first failure, way back last september!) they did not put in some spacers, and actually installed a shift fork BACKWARDS! Could not believe that! Hard to belive it shifted at all! but at least the notchiness makes sense and will be fixed. the not starting was cause by one of the intake valves recessing back into the head too far. Essentially it wore way too fast, Possibly a not properly hardenned seat. Either way, that's not too severe. As long as i keep up on the valves from now on (which i thought i was doing, asking the dealer to check them every time it was torn apart...) That should not happen again, and furthermore: it is good to know that the tranny issues were all from improper replacement way back last year!, and not the machine falling apart again. Who knows i may even keep the thing now, if it stays together and Polaris will let me purchase a warranty extension, i may in fact hold on to this thing... (at least until the '07 KTMs come out... then maybe a trade-in [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] ) Anyway, the first dealer that worked on it may have caused a lot of these issues, but we'll never know

Though you guys may find that interesting if you've been keeping score at home... THANKS!

Old 07-13-2006, 09:29 AM
Pro Rider
Default Latest chapter in Predator saga is an interesting twist... Read if you've been following.

been following your pain for awhile glad to here that it was human error and not mechanical!!!

Old 07-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

well walt, maybe finnaly you've finnaly got a break. good luck with all that!

Old 07-13-2006, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

I used to have a predator and had alot of trouble also. I finally sold and bought a DS650 and couldnt be happier. I havent had any trouble with the DS what so ever. I suggest you look into the DS, I know after having a pred you will like it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-13-2006, 01:16 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

i always wanted a DS, but i refused to buy one untill it got reverse and got a little less top heavy

Old 07-13-2006, 01:28 PM
Pro Rider
Set a New OEM chassis 4 stroke national record on his OMW DS855 - 3.93 !

I dont know if you will ever see reverse on a DS, but they seem to really handle their weight real well. Nothing near the body roll of a Raptor. For a big long heavy machine they are quite agile in my opinion.

Old 07-14-2006, 01:27 AM
Pro Rider

I also always thought the DS was sick! Something about a BMW engine in a quad chassis w/ a foot of suspension and an Autometer tach is just all out awesome! Unfortunately, They're a lot too fat for the woods riding i do up here in MI. In the desert, i'd be ALL OVER IT! trust me! but i run w/ 450s on the track and trail and simply put the DS would not do what i needed it too, either because it was too wide for the woods, or too heavy for the track. Also, i'd be a lot more comfortable with it being to fat to fit between trees, if it had reverse! lol! NOT bashing your bike tho, i think they are sweet and if you do the sort of riding they shine in, there's not a lot that will catch you!

The other reason i'm not interested in anything above 525cc is because i'm looking at getting into woods racing here in MI, and the XC limit is 525cc, so that's as big as I'll go. interestingly enough this is also the size of the soon to come KTM... Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, but to be completely honest i've ridden dang near everything on the market, and i found the Predator to be the best all around machine for the type of riding we do here in the farmland down in rural southern MI. Thanks for the suggestions, and rest assured that i definately acknowledge your DS's dominance in the type of riding you do, but for me its gotta be either the Pred or a 525 KTM.

Truth be told, i'm relieved that it was an issue with a mechanic not assembling things right, and maybe now that it will be put back together correctly, it will stay running strong.