Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Clicking in rear & water in belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006, 09:19 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking in rear & water in belt

I have two chronic problems with my 04 Scrambler that the dealer doesn't seem to be able to fix or says isn't a problem.

First, I have a clicking from the back, happens even at low speeds, even when just moving it around in the driveway, etc. First they claimed it was just because I was almost due for back brakes, but they just replaced those and it still does it. Now they claim it is just the "floating" type brake and it is normal, nothing they can do. Do those here agree with this diagnosis?

My second problem is water in the belt. I didn't seem to have a problem until they replace the belt. Ever since then, when I hit shallow water at speed, water gets in and the belt slips. Fairly deep water at slow speed doesn't seem to bother it. They said the seal is fine, can't explain it. Insinuate I'm playing in water too much. I realize it's not a Jetski, and watch other sport ATV and big ATV's splash through the same water and they don't get left with a spinning belt and having to put it in neutral and dry it out to get moving again.

Oh, one more thing. Somehow I seem to have lost whatever cover used to cover the front sprocket. I didn't think I used to be able to see it, and now I can. Should I be concerned?

Any insight on any of these would be appreciated.

Old 07-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

first if it was the floating break as they say, its easy to tell. lightly pull the break w/ a little pressure and that will stop the floating action if it does float and then drive it to listen for the click. if it's still there you just ruled out the breaks. second as far water getting in, i would guess the clutch cover seal is bad some where or the clutch vent is near the water otherwise there would be no water getting in. ive had mine and the wifes in 3 feet of water for more then once w/ no problems. even though there sportsman i beleave there the same type of seals. dont know about the sproket cover sorry.

Old 07-14-2006, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

they probably didnt put the seal back on the clutch cover