Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

CV Boot Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2006 | 10:26 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default CV Boot Replacement

Here it is guys, I have a Polaris 700 Sportsman with about 9 hours on it. I already ripped the left lower rear cv boot off and am looking to replace it. I ordered a manuel, but it has not yet arrived so I am hoping that someone can help me with a little problem. I took the tire off, removed the hub, took the bottom shock bolt out, and removed the bolts holding the outer arm assembly together. So I was able to slide the axle out of the hub carrier " the pot metal round thing, I'm not really sure what it is called so I named it a hub carrier". Anyway the axle is free from that part and I cut the old boot off, but cannot figure out how to get the axle off so that I can put the new boot on. Do I have to take the upper boot off and pull the axle out from there?, or is there a way to take the knuckle apart at the lower portion? If somone can help me I will offer a free guided ride in SW Florida if anyone can make it down here. There is some great riding in this part of the state. Please someone help me out on my last leg.

Old 07-14-2006 | 10:32 PM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you do not need to take apart the upper boot to get the axle out. once its free from the bottom ***. it pulls out of the rear end in one piece. its help in w/ a clip and sometimes you can snap it real quick and it will pull out. i just pulled mine off 20 minutes ok but needed to help it w/ a pry bar. havent figued out hoe to pull the clip out that holds it together yet.

Old 07-14-2006 | 10:33 PM
Pro Rider

Clean the grease off and you will beable to see a clip holding the cv joint on. I always take 2 flat screw drivers and spread the clip and take a small rubber hammer and hit the cv joint. it should slide right off.

Old 07-15-2006 | 02:05 AM
|
Pro Rider

Is the "C" clip towards the wheel side or toward the upper portion of the axle? Should I be able to get the clip off where the boot use to be, or is it somewhere else?

I really wanted to thank you guys for your help, without it I would just have to wait for the manual and that sucks.

Old 07-15-2006 | 07:21 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

if your talking about the same thing as mine donecrashed except the outershaft (toward the wheel) then look at my pics. and you'll see a pic of the clip.it should be toward the wheel side.

Old 07-15-2006 | 05:27 PM
|
Pro Rider

Stendori, you are right on the money with the picture. That is exactly what I am trying to take off. I cannot get the spline out enought to even see the C clip. I cannot figure out a way to get the clip exposed so that I can remove it. I have tried hitting the outer bearing cup with a hammer, and have tried hitting the whole unit with a hammer and it doesn't move. Please give me some advise on this, I do not want to pay a dealer for this little thing.

Thanks guys

Old 07-16-2006 | 07:48 AM
Trailblazer

Spread the clip and the cv joint comes right off. No problem. Just done the job om mine.

Old 07-16-2006 | 07:53 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!

you still may need to lighty tap it but your right it does come right off as long as you can spread the clip far enough.

Old 07-16-2006 | 02:20 PM
|
Pro Rider

After looking at your picture, and reading what you had to say, it all makes since. My problem is you know the star looking piece that surrounds the slines on the axle. I'm taking it that the c clip is hidden under that piece. I cannot see the c clip because I cannot get that piece to move far enough down the splines to expose the c clip. I don't know what else to do. On your picture it shows the c clip through that broken star piece. How do you move that piece so that you can get to the c clip out? My star piece does not have a cut out in it to see the ends of the c clip, it is one solid piece.