Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Polaris vs. Honda vs. Yamaha

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Polaris vs. Honda vs. Yamaha

Yes, it will go anywhere all the other big bores go except the shop. Their not the fastest. The automatic robs to much power. But the handling is unreal. You can use everybit of it. I ride with an 800 bomb all the time. That thing will leave me like I hit the brakes on the road. But get us on the trails with uneven bumpy terrain and I'll smoke him. I've stayed with dirt bikes and sport quads on the trails. Granted the right rider will waste me. But until you've ridden one hard, you just won't understand.

Old 07-21-2006, 05:02 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by: 2manytoys
A V twin will always have more torque, power and throttle response over a single cylinder. The new 680 will beat a 700 and its only a single cylinder and power to weight ratio is much better than the 700.
First off, I am no machanic or engeneer...

I always thought that a single would have more torque then a twin - of the same size. Rule of thumb, more cylinders = more horsepower, while less cylinders = more low end torque.

That is why race cars have a lot more cylinders then tractors. They need horsepower, the tractor needs torque.

Am I wrong??????????????????????????

Old 07-21-2006, 06:05 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Catterman you are way wrong.

Tractors are a different breed and they are also diesel. Tractors ( diesels) dont work on traditional combustion like cars. No spark plugs to ignite. They work off of compression. Torque has alot to do with stroke but the more cylinders will give you more torque. A v twin has tons of torque because the combustion is devided between cylinders. A single cylinder has to fire twice as much as a twin cylinder thus not able to produce torque as quick. A cylinder has to go through intake, combustion, and exhaust all in one revolution. If you have 2 cylinders one cylinder is on the intake stroke while the other is on its exhaust stroke so the torque will not fall off during the revolution. A single cylinder has to go through intake, combustion, exhaust stroke before it can produce more torque so the torque falls off. So in reality more cylinders along with stroke will produce more consistant torque and throttle response.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Pro Rider

I'm not sure about that...b/c the 695cc single King Quad has been is said to have more torque than the 749cc V-twin BF 750 on some dynos. There's no doubt about it the V-twin makes more power. Maybe that just has to do with the KQ being a DOHC...but that's just a suggestion.

Old 07-21-2006, 06:53 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Hmmmmm.........