Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Steering bushings & bad service

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 05:39 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As far as problems with the polaris, It seems that the lower steering bushing is the most recognized problem on this forum. I have a SP500 with 180 miles and the bushing and rivets are trashed. So I call the service mgr. at my dealership and he says....GET THIS...."that he has never seen this problem before" and "what the heck are you doing to this thing that would wear the bushing like that". Now mind you I've had this thing for only 2 1/2 months and this stinking bushing is trashed already!!?? What does he think I'm running Baha with this thing? So I ask him if I buy the HPD unit will he replace it with that. "Nope" only Polaris factory parts. So I take it he wants my bike back every 8 weeks to do this repair? (I have a 5 yr service contract) Then he says to drop it off but it will take about 3 weeks to fix. If my math is correct he will have my quad for a total of 4 1/2 months next year???!!!!@#$%^^ Think He'll make a few payments for me??.........ANYWAY..........do you think I should have him fix it, or put in the HPD unit myself?? Thanks for lettin' me vent............AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

Old 11-28-2000, 06:48 PM
Pro Rider

I'd call Polaris direct, and ask them if it usually takes 3 1/2 weeks to fix this part that they know is junk.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:29 PM
Pro Rider

In all honesty I have only replaced about 6 lower bushings in 13 years (think there is a lot of loose ones out there)
To take 3 week to fix! Thats B.S. You can do it your self in less than an hour.
Don't use the rivets, replace with bolts.

Old 11-28-2000, 08:58 PM
Pro Rider

anybody that wants 3 weeks to do that kind of work is nuts. he either needs to hire more service guys or is very slow, or both. i would call polaris about this, maybee u will get some action.

later
jon

Old 11-29-2000, 04:39 AM
Trailblazer

I think he was refering as to it taking him 3 weeks to get to it. Same end result for me though. He would not schedule an appointment just wanted me to drop it off and let it sit till he could work on it. Cant afford the down time, I wanna' ride. Sounds like he had a bunch of those dreaded seasonal snowmobiles to prep for winter. I ordered the HPD bushing. Thanks guys.

P.S. I run a machine shop and when I get this bushing I am going to copy....I mean "improve it" and make a bunch. I'll sell them cheaper than the $43.00 with shipping the aftermarket companys are charging. Im sure the wifes 335 will need one soon.

Old 12-02-2000, 07:24 PM
Trailblazer

Well, I did my own bushing today. I went with the HPD unit. What a world of differance. I came to find out that the bushing rivets were where the slop in the steering was. I figured rather than leaving the plastic garbage in there I replaced the bushing too. I'm of above average mechanical ability, and the project took me 2 1/2 hours. HPD bushing is of high quality. Thanks guys for all the tips.