Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Sportsman Engineering challenge

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2006, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Engineering challenge

I have an 03 Sportsman 500 HO. When looking at it from the rear my wheels "toe out" on the bottoms. Even when no wieght is on the unit. I have a two inch lift kit all the way around insalled correctly. The first thing I did was replace the rear springs. It helped a bit. Recently i had the forward bushing bolt on the right side lower control arm slide out during a ride, the shock of course extended to its max and broke the weld on the flat bracket that goes between the two arms on the same lower contol arm. I limped the quad out of the woods essentially on one shock. When I looked at the quad from the rear I noticed that the LEFT side wheel was seriously toed out, nearly riding on the tire's inside edge. What gives?? Why would the LEFT side be SO affected by the right side's breaking? Is it the stabilizer bar? And is the satbilizer bar "preloaded" as one of my friends claims? Should I replace the stabilizer bar? I'm looking to eliminate all the "toe out". Nothing is missing on the frame, everything appears to be in order as far as frame support, etc. I just cant understand how the wheels will "toe out". The engineering of the rear suspension dosnt seem as if it would allow such action. Anyone know of a Polaris enfgineering website, etc I could ask this of? Thanks

Old 07-22-2006, 01:42 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Engineering challenge

The lift makes them toe out because it extends the shock length..which push down on on the a-arms more..causing a steeper angle..and which makes the tires bow out. Take out the life..and no more bowing out. Really shouldnt lift a rear on stock axles anyways..they are already at a steep enough angle..just crank your preloads all the way stiff.