Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2000, 01:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ah stop bitchin

Old 11-29-2000, 01:31 PM
Range Rover

You forgot to mention that with a 2 stroke you don't have to change the oil and filter every three months and you don't have to periodically adjust the valves which can be expensive. I think the two stroke actually requires less maintenance. 2-strokes number one killer is lean jetting often caused by a dirty carburetor. Also cold weather can lean them out to the point of burndown. You should also ride them easy until they warm up. If you follow a few simple guidelines a 2-stroke will last for many years, and if they do blow up they are not really that expensive to rebuild. The polaris engines don't really turn that much rpm and are not really high strung so that makes them less prone to letdown. It also gives them the torque you need to pull a trailer or climb a hill or crawl over rocks.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:35 PM
Pro Rider

300forlife~
What exactly am I "bitchin" about? All I said in that previous post was some facts and experience. So what's the problem? You don't want to admit your machine isn't nearly the best out there, do you? HAHA! Polaris forever!! Hey Robculp, thanks for adding what I forgot to mention. I too think they are actually less maintainance.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:42 PM
Pro Rider

One thging to remember about Polaris engine. their 2 strokes are not high strung, such as those on the 250R or the Banshee. The Polaris engines are more laid back, as they are intended for recreation, and not fast, race type situations. That is why the Polaris 250cc 2 stroke is not nearly as fast as a 250R 2 stroke. This makes the engine much more reliable. My step dad has a 1992 350L 2 stroke, and my mom has a 1995 Trail Boss 250 stroke. Niether machine has had to have any work done to the engine other then routine maintanence. Also, the Polaris machines will not load up on oil at slow speeds. The oil injection on these engines is variable, depending how fast the engine is running. When at idle, the ratio is in the neighborhood of 100:1, compared to about 25:1 or so at full throttle.

Old 11-29-2000, 02:00 PM
Pro Rider

Hey Lurch~
The 4 stroke Polaris ATV are better at slow riding due to the engine. Running a 2 stroke at low speeds can cause them to load up, but only if run in HI range, or a 400 scrambler. After crawling through woods or any long slow ride, my scrambler does load up. I can really feel a difference in the midrange. I think the reason this happens is because the RPM's need to be kept a little higher in HI range and therefore more oil is injected. Running the machine fairly hard for a while will "clean them out" and bring the performance back to normal. That's what I've found on my Scrambler, but any machine with a LOW range shouldn't have a problem with this.

Old 11-29-2000, 09:32 PM
GJ
Range Rover

I had read an article, I think it was in the tech connection here, that described why 2 strokes load up. He said that it was due to the low air velosity in the cylinder and cranckcase at low rpm which causes the fuel to fall out of its vapor state and back into fuel droplets. The droplets start to collect in the crankcase area. Then when you rev the motor up the the higher velosity air inside the crankcase pushes up all this extra fuel into the cylinder and runs very rich for a bit till it is cleaned out and back to normal. GJ