Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2000, 10:03 PM
jam
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been considering the Polaris Xplorer 400(and Xplorer 250) and the Yamaha Kodiak 4X4. Could someone tell me the advantages of the 2 strokes.My friend tells me I'm nuts to even think of the 2 stroke with a chain drive. I think that the chain drive is simpiler then a shaft and transfers more of the engines power(maybe I'm wrong).Also that the industry is getting away from 2 strokes.

Old 11-28-2000, 10:45 PM
Pro Rider

we own 2 polaris 4 wheelers 1 is a 400 Explorer it is a great bike no major problems 95 model. If you want more speed and power go with the 2 stroke but if you want a less maintence less power go with the kodiac

Old 11-28-2000, 11:29 PM
Pro Rider

jam,
2-strokes have more horsepower per cc then a 4-stroke. 4-strokes have more torque. Depends on how you want to ride as far as which one is better. If your a haul *** high reving rider then a 2-stroke is what you want. If you spend more time at lower RPM's and need power off the bottom, such as pulling trailers, or lugging your way up a hill without spinning alot, then a 4-stroke will be the choice for you. A 4-stroke is easier to operate, more reliable, lasts longer, and lower maintenence. 2-strokes generally require alot more upkeep to keep them running at peak performance. But at peak performance they will outrun a 4-stroke.
Yes there is more power loss through a shaft then a chain. Plus a shaft is heavier. However, a shaft is more reliable, stronger, and no maintenence. If on the other hand you don't mind adjusting, oiling, and changing chains, it will tranfer the power better, and be lighter. Again, it would depend on how you ride as far as which is better for you.

Rick

Old 11-28-2000, 11:34 PM
GJ
Range Rover

Also, if you do alot of low speed riding or lots of crawling over stuff the 4 stroke would be much easier to use as they do not "load up". In my opinion 2 strokes are as reliable as 4 strokes and much easier to work on. Nothing wrong with chain drive either, but they are more maintenace. And if you are a big mudder, probably should be avoided. You should decide based on what terrain you ride in and your style of riding. GJ

Old 11-28-2000, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider

You cannot go wrong with an Xplorer400. It is full of power and has only the one rear chain. I have never seen a Kodiac in person but have heard they are good quads. All I can say is that on my 98 Xplorer I have 3 chains and thay are the original ones. Power is amazing and it can be modded to make it even better. It is great for crawling, mudding and swift or slow trail riding.

The only thing I have noticed is that jumping can stretch a chain...but then who does huge jumps on an Xplorer or similar quad.

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2000, 04:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellant replies,I'll add one.I had a 99 model 500cc 4x4 Sportsman that was a 4 stroker.I bought a lighter [by 110lbs] 00 model Xplorer 400cc 2-stroker and except for the rear chain drive,I love this quad.The 2 stroke thing bothered me to at first,however,after 900 miles of trouble free engine problems,im convinced that Polaris did their hm work on this injection system.

If your going to do alot of heavy mudding,stay away from the Xplorer,a shaft driven quad would be more practical.Other than the rear chain drive,I'd buy another Xplorer if they'd come out with 2 stroker 600cc engine in one,
Bill

Old 11-29-2000, 09:54 AM
Pro Rider

One more advantage to the Xplorer no one else mentioned. The suspension. The chain drive allows for longer suspension travel. A full 9 inches, if I remember right. Doesn't sound like a lot more, but I can put my brother on back, and roar through a ridged cornfield across the rows and never have it bottom out. My old Honda has so much of the suspension used up you feel EVERY bump when you go double. We both weigh between 180 & 190.
For those of you unfamiliar with ridged corn, it is how we irrigate here. You make a furrow, about 6 to 8 inches deep, between each row of corn, spaced 36 inches apart. Each 15 inches you travel, you either go up or down 6 to 8 inches. THAT is a test of suspension.

Old 11-29-2000, 10:21 AM
Pro Rider

The newer concentric drive (one chain) has made the chain immune to stretch when jumping. The older models had the swing arm pivot point that was not in the same axis as the transmission sprocket and would tighten the chain when the suspension was compressed(they should have called it eccentric drive). This is why the chain needed 1 1/2" slack when adjusted correctly. In other words, your chain would prevent the suspension from working and would cause it to stretch on a incorrectly adjusted chain.

Old 11-29-2000, 12:24 PM
Trailblazer

If you want reliability and long life dont't buy a 2-stroke! Simple as that. @-strokes are the past.So is chain drive. Ya want a chain buy a chain saw! As a matter of fact that is what Polaris 2-strokes sound like!!!! Buy the Kodiac.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:04 PM
Pro Rider

300forlife~
My first question for you is have you ever ridden a Polaris 2 stroke? How's this for reliability and long life...my first quad was an 89 Polaris 250 Trailboss 4x4. Except for brake pads and fluids, every single part on that machine was still original until 98. I decided to replace the chain and sprockets then just because they were starting to show some wear. I still got $2500 for that 9 year old machine when I sold it!! Now, we can talk about clutch belts. I bet you think they burn up about every few months, right? WRONG! That trailboss used the original belt for that entire 9 years! The 4 year old belt on my Scrambler has less than 1/32 of an inch of wear on it!! Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't know of that much maintainance for a 2 stroke: oil chains, grease the zerks after a muddy/wet ride, keep oil tank full, can't think of anything else. Is that a lot of maintainance; I think not! Also, if 2 strokes and chain drive are a thing of the past, why are they still dominating on the tracks(250R), the dunes(banshee), and many ATV pulls (polaris 2 strokes)? I assume you have the Fourtrax 300, correct? I would put up a Polaris 300 against your machine in any department...speed, ride quality, pulling power, true 4x4...come to think of it, there's not many places your 300 would beat the Polaris 2 stroke! Any other ingenius points you want to make??

Quick Reply: 2 Stroke vs. 4 Stroke