Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Looking at options for 96 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006, 03:21 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking at options for 96 Sport

Newish to the 4 wheeling world so not sure where to start and whats available for atvs. I've kept up more on snowmobiling stuff past few years than I have ATVing but since my step dad got himself a new 4 wheeler, he doesnt care much of what happens to the sport now. So, I'm looking into what I can do with it.

I turn 21 tomorrow (yay!) so not really young and dumb but have had this thing for good 3 years and never really anything done to it. I had a buddy that works at a polaris shop/dealer runs some mnor maintaince on it like lubing and cleaning shat. So over the coarse of winter Im gonna pick up new stuff.

Like my pull start case got water in it evidenlty and now everything in there is covered with light layer of rust. So thats gotta get changed. Also notice that whoever had this 4 wheeler before us (yes its been like it for 3 years) cracked one of the bolts holding the tranny to the frame, and another one stripped out. I got the broken bolt out and put a new one in so thats in better shape. Still going to replace that tranny though.

Ive done random scans on ebay, small searches here, and online. Hard to find much info on a 10 year old 4 wheeler. Seen like 2 Fox shocks for the rear of it but they were both used though not a big deal. Seeing as mine is blown anyways and you can push down on it. Also been like that since we had it.

My buddy can help with installs and what not and already clocked it at 65ish from his car. Who has some good pipes, good shocks, and whatever else you can do. Ive been eye balling the FMF pipe on BikeBandit.com but I just dont know enough about it all to just want to dish out 300 bucks.

Old 08-07-2006, 08:22 PM
Trailblazer

Check out rittercycle.com and give rick a call and tell him what you want out of it. Great customer service. I recomend his stage 1 kit only $325 which comes with pipe, silencer, airbox mod, jets and clutch spring.
Whatever you chose to do, Do not go with the FMF because it does not come with a clutch kit to match the pipe.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:31 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Hotdogger is right. Do not go with FMF or DG. When you put a pipe on you must do some clutch work to match the pipes powerband. If you dont it will fall on its face. Rick Ritter can set you up pretty well for not alot of cash. The 400 is able to put out 90+ hp so its all up to you on how far you want to go.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:40 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give Rick Ritter a call on his Stage1 kit and ask about getting your cylinder bored and trail ported along with a new Weisco piston because if it hasnt been rebuilt it WILL blow and cost you a ton.

Old 08-07-2006, 11:53 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

AAEN Performance HPD Performance Hot Seat Performance Rick Ritter All of these are good choices, But I would go with Rick before any other Polaris performance supplier. Also, you can buy HPD products through Rick

Old 08-08-2006, 11:22 AM
Range Rover

Alright good deal. Thanks for the info. I knew 2 strokes dont care for just a thrown on pipe much but didnt know what would bring out some more power. Can feel the sports got potential, just want to bring it out right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]