Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

05 Scrambler Water Problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2006 | 09:58 PM
|
Trailblazer
Default 05 Scrambler Water Problem

The last couple of rides I noticed that if I hit water too hard the motor would start to sputter and choke like the plug was getting wet. I looked at the plug (whicch is a real pain to get to btw) and I can't see any evidence of water getting in. Are there any other areas that I should look at for this??

Also, it seems that the PVT belt on this machine gets wet pretty easily. It will start to slip in water that is barley to the floor boards even if i'm poking through it. Is this unusual for this machine. I took a look at the outer cover seal and it seems pretty tight, could it be the rear seals, or anything else?

Thanks for any advice.

Old 08-06-2006 | 10:12 PM
Pro Rider

Put some dielectric grease in the spark plug boot and the seal must need replaced on the cloutch cover.

Old 08-06-2006 | 10:21 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Kerbbirds
Put some dielectric grease in the spark plug boot and the seal must need replaced on the cloutch cover.
Ditto on both...ever since I've replaced my clutch cover, I've had no more problems with wet belts, even thru water over the floorboards. It's possible that the wire going to the spark plug is not pushed all the way into the boot, if pushing the wire in or applying grease doesn't fix it then the boot or wire may be bad/damaged.

Old 08-07-2006 | 12:29 AM
Pro Rider

also the sputtering can be caused by the coil getting wet. it is located in the "firewall" below the handlebars. theconnections for this arent really well protected from water and can cause an itermittent short when blasted with water. shrink tube or the paint on wire isulation on the exposed connections,might be a good fix for this.

just a few ideas...

X

Old 08-07-2006 | 07:28 AM
Pro Rider

Also check your clean out plub for the air cleaner box in the rear next to the shock if it is missing it would cause it to miss when the water is sucked in.

Old 08-07-2006 | 11:48 AM
Trailblazer

Let me know what u find...I have an 06 Scrambler that does the same thing with a heavy powerwashing... I tried putting dielecric grease on some connections. So far so good but havent tried giving it a good wash since I did it. Polaris dealer was of no help either..

Old 09-12-2006 | 02:28 PM
Trailblazer

i have an 05 scrambler....Had the exact same problem. here is what I think is happening. You have an intake to (what I believe your clutch belts) under the front left fender. When I hit 8" of water at 10 mph....same thing would happen to me....I was very frustrated. what I did was took off some plastic and shoved a piece of flexible rubber tubing into the intake....then I ran it up under the plastic by the handle bars....never happened again....I had the sputtering problem and the belt slippage.....this seemed to fix both....I'm not a mechanic as you can proabably tell. My job was very unprofessional but it worked for the time being...I plan on doing a snokel out of PVC very soon, some guys have posted some great pictures of their own work. The one I refer to the most is a guy named "scramblerXrated" he can be found in this forum. If you seach the forum for snorkels you will find all you need to know.....good luck
reilly