Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

GPS for ATV ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 11:54 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

The Etrex Legend is a nice little unit but not good for atving. The screen is small and the buttons are smaller. If you atv in a cold climate and wear gloves, it won't work for you. I've also had the batteries shake loose on bumpy trails which shuts it off.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

IMO The size of the screen isn't a big deal to me cause when i'm ridin i don't look at the GPS, just the trail. The legend works fine for me, its small size is better IMO, less likely to get hit by something on the trail. My buddy bought Garmins newest flashiest colour unit, then tagged a tree second ride and smashed the crap out of it, $600 down the drain. But best of luck in whatever you decide.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:09 AM
Trailblazer
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Originally posted by: BikKat
Whatever GPS you choose you will want to get a RAM mount to mount it with.

I use a Garmin eMap and it is quite out-dated now, but it works well.

I do not know of any that is designed specifically for ATVing.

Steve

I have had that same one for about 6 years and love it, i have not seen a reason to upgrade just yet!

Old 08-09-2006, 02:34 AM
SG1
Trailblazer
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Well I had my Etrex Legend for awhile now and had no problems. I do have a 12V cord hooked up when I am using it on my ATV. I also have a bicycle bar mount for my Etrex Legend so it doesn't move that much. I have used it with batteries and never had a problem. Yes it is small and the only time I want to press buttons on it is when I am stopped on the trail taking a break. Usually I will leave it on the screen with the big arrow to tell me where camp is cause yes the sreen is small but that's why it's fairly cheap. But for driving in a vehicle it's ok but really after you get used to it. It's very nice for the money you pay for it. I mean yes you can get bigger screens but you are going to pay alittle more also I would think. Well I hope this helps. Also like I said in my other post getting the City Navigator V7 CD helps a lot when driving a car on the road. And also the expandable memory is very cool too. If you are worried about batteries then put a 12Volt plug on your ATV and then plug it into the GPS.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:03 AM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Originally posted by: SCRAMMYTODD
Hey Caper buy a Garmin Etrax Legend and I can prob hook you up with the software to go with it. You can get them at Canadian Tire with a handlebar mount for about 220 plus tax, let me know
Hey scrammytodd what maps and software came with your unit......did you have to add top maps to use it for ATVing.Some guys at work told me that the maps that come with this units are geared towards the people traveling on the highways.......gas....resturants.......etc...I want the back trails in our area....Thanks.....caper.....

Old 08-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Range Rover
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

The Garmin Topo maps have forest roads and such but wont have every little trail in the middle of nowhere. But the tracking feature will leave a track on the gps map that you can upload back onto your Garmin mapping softwhere that you install on your computer. You first install the mapping softwhere on your computer, thats how you install different maps to the gps. Then you can upload the days ride and save it on your computer. There is lots of things you can do and I highly recommend the Garmin 60cs.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:33 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

The maps that come with any Garmin are very limited, Main roads and little detail on towns. I have Orillia to South River loaded on mine but my software has all of Canada on it, just needs to be downloaded off the computer. I also can get a topo map from a friend. The only drawback with the Legend is small memory but can be updated i think. As far as I know all Garmin software will work with all Garmin models (Correct me if i'm wrong) So if you have access to Garmin software I would stick to that. The most of our riding is on Crown land and prob 75% is on the map and they are not passable by truck anymore so it is very detailed. Let me know what you decide

Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

We ride mostly on a chunk of crown land between Baysville to Vankougnet to Dorset to Haliburton. Go to Mikes Mart or something and get a Backroads map book. It will show most of the main roads but the good riding is off the beaten path. One thing to warn about riding there, There is a provintial park that is in the East end of this area that if the MNR catches you, they will give you a ticket! Thats where a GPS and Backroads map will help. If you have any other questions let me know

Old 08-11-2006, 01:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

i recently bought a magallean explorist 500, amazon 225$. I love it, waterproof, recargable battery with like 19 hours time. Color screen. Keep in mind that you will need software...anywhere from 100 -150 depending where you buy. My only advice, is that the reviews I read about magellan SOFTWARE were horrible. Unfortunately for me, i read them after i bought the unit........However, Mine has worked Perfectly.....But that bein said, if you can find a garmin for the price and all the features you want, you might want to go for that, from what I read they have outstanding customer support and service, where magellan's is horrible.....hopefully I will never need it LOL

Old 08-15-2006, 11:59 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Well the order is in.......I phoned Le barons(ONTARIO) and bought the LOWRANCE ifinder H2OC handheld color GPS with the TOPO map (Ontario) SD card along with the RAM handlebar mount kit......I Keep you informed if anybody wants to know more about these units........caper...........