Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

GPS for ATV ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 12:57 PM
Ride like you own it, Not like it's stolen!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

What kind of GPS are you guys using out there that is made or geared for us ATV users. I know alot of them are for hiking,fishing,boating....etc.....But are there any ones that stand out for our type of use.......Trails.....one second updates......distance.....handlebar mounting.......12 volt acc.plug.....color or gray back-ground......and back-lite for night use....Thanks for you time and input ............note the ASAP is because my wife wants to buy one for my birthday and she might just buy anything without mine input..........caper......

Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Whatever GPS you choose you will want to get a RAM mount to mount it with.

I use a Garmin eMap and it is quite out-dated now, but it works well.

I do not know of any that is designed specifically for ATVing.

Steve

Old 08-07-2006, 10:04 PM
Pro Rider
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Hey Caper buy a Garmin Etrax Legend and I can prob hook you up with the software to go with it. You can get them at Canadian Tire with a handlebar mount for about 220 plus tax, let me know

Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 AM
SG1
Trailblazer
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

The Garmin Etrex legend CX has 32MB expandable memory and it's price is around $250 and think it is well worth it. And the City Navigator V7 CD is great also around $100. I really can't stress enough on getting the expandable memory cause as long as you can get transflash micro SD cards you will have a lot of memory right now I have 512MB for around $50 for a Sandisk Transflash Micro SD. In the near future I suspect you will be able to get 1G. The City Nav. V7 CD takes up a lot of storage as far as memory goes. The green screen vs. color is like night and day. The color screen is so much better. The green screen you can see it better at night with the backlighting on. During the day and if there is a glare it's not great at all. With the 512MB Card I can have very very detailed maps from miss. through tx. all the way up the United States. and still have about 200MB left over. It's wonderful to have that many states with that much detail at your disposal. There is also another new model out the Venture CX that is alittle cheaper than the Legend CX that looks cool too. Check this website out that's where I bought all my stuff from and there shipping is good and there prices seem to be pretty good also.

Website: http://www.provantage.com/garmin-gps...GPSEQPGRMN.htm

And this website: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmetlgcx.htm

Old 08-08-2006, 09:04 AM
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Originally posted by: SCRAMMYTODD
Hey Caper buy a Garmin Etrax Legend and I can prob hook you up with the software to go with it. You can get them at Canadian Tire with a handlebar mount for about 220 plus tax, let me know
I guy at work told me he has the software for that Garmin also..... they must be a very good seller.....is it color or gray/black.....caper.....can you get the handlebar mount for that model.....

Old 08-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Originally posted by: SG1
The Garmin Etrex legend CX has 32MB expandable memory and it's price is around $250 and think it is well worth it. And the City Navigator V7 CD is great also around $100. I really can't stress enough on getting the expandable memory cause as long as you can get transflash micro SD cards you will have a lot of memory right now I have 512MB for around $50 for a Sandisk Transflash Micro SD. In the near future I suspect you will be able to get 1G. The City Nav. V7 CD takes up a lot of storage as far as memory goes. The green screen vs. color is like night and day. The color screen is so much better. The green screen you can see it better at night with the backlighting on. During the day and if there is a glare it's not great at all. With the 512MB Card I can have very very detailed maps from miss. through tx. all the way up the United States. and still have about 200MB left over. It's wonderful to have that many states with that much detail at your disposal. There is also another new model out the Venture CX that is alittle cheaper than the Legend CX that looks cool too. Check this website out that's where I bought all my stuff from and there shipping is good and there prices seem to be pretty good also.

Website: http://www.provantage.com/garmin-gps...GPSEQPGRMN.htm
Are the Etrax legend CX and the new Venture Cx color screens......and have 12 volt acc. cord...to plug in the bike or just batteries...I Thank both of you ....for your reply......caper........

And this website: http://www.gpsnow.com/gmetlgcx.htm

Old 08-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Range Rover
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Get the Garmin 60cs or 60 csx. Great units with mapping and color screens that are easily readable in bright sun. In fact the brighter sun the better. Also have backlighting for night. The csx model has memory card capability but the other has 54 meg built in which is more than enough for most purposes.

Old 08-08-2006, 05:05 PM
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

I seen the Lowrance ifinder H2OC color today it looks like a very nice unit.............everything is on the front where it can be reached easy when on the quad.........Good mounting system..........anybody have one of these ,or know about there features for us off road guys............They are ready to add TOP maps to also(MAP CREATE)....Thanks ........caper......

Old 08-08-2006, 09:52 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

I have the magellan explorist 300. It came with an ATV mount, and back light, compass, water proof, weather resistant. I love it!

Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 PM
SG1
Trailblazer
Default GPS for ATV ASAP

Quote:
Are the Etrax legend CX and the new Venture Cx color screens......and have 12 volt acc. cord...to plug in the bike or just batteries...I Thank both of you ....for your reply......caper........

Yes Caper they are both color screens and I personally have the 12V acc. cord for the Legend CX and I love it. I use it on my 300 kingquad and it works great. Check out the websites that I orginally posted they have all the details.

Quick Reply: GPS for ATV ASAP