Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Hand shifter stuck...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 07:48 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hand shifter stuck...

Yupp, Like I said-need to rebuild the clutch. If you want to, and I mean "want" to, You can buy a clutch puller off on the net or ebay or whatever, yank the clutch off yourself, and take it to the dealer for the rebuild. If you had more tools and the knowhow, you could do the rebuild yourself. If you dont care to spend a little more money then just take the wheeler there and have them yank it and rebuild it and reinstall. Good luck, Brian

Old 08-13-2006, 11:38 PM
Trailblazer

do you guys know how many years the model of my clutch is covered? like 85-93 or something like that? the ones on ebay look the same but dont want to guess. do I need that tool to remove it, and is this something that is pretty involved - I read in the haynes book i have and it seems pretty straight forward to replace.

xler8ion - do you think I just need to clean it? [doubt it, but...]

Old 08-13-2006, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: ftwflh
The left hand lever is your main brake lever.And from what you have discribed you have a clutch not releasing.Most likly the front (primary) clutch.As old as it is you may need to replace the front clutch or have it rebuilt.The cost of a rebuild job is about what you can get a used one from Ebay for.While you are in there replace the ramp buttons in the rear clutch.
how much should this cost? i see a 92 cluctch on ebay for like $50 - is that what a rebuild cost... sorry, I have no idea what to gauge when I call a dealer.

Old 08-14-2006, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

Be very careful buying primary clutches off ebay, most old clutches will have wear at the bottom of the sheaves and the shims will be worn too. If I were you I'd remove the primary clutch and take it to the dealer for evaluation, and go from there. You will need a clutch puller to remove the clutch though. An alternative would be to remove the floorboard and cover and take the wheeler to the dealer and have them evaluate the clutch on the quad.
Unfortunately this is a common problem and in most cases leeds to a new primary clutch.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:05 AM
Pro Rider

If you have never taken a clutch off before I would suggest you do it with someone who has done it before and watch. Even with the tool clutches that have been on a long time take tremendous pressure to remove-you not only need the puller but other tools also. Once off the cover must be removed and again if you have never done it I would suggest only doing it with someone with such experience. Polaris atv guys and/or snowmobile guys are the best because the actual clutch removal and disassembly is the same. Most clutches can be cleaned and/or rebuilt. Some cannot. DO THIS WITH SOMEONE WHO HAS DONE IT BEFORE AND LEARN. Doing it alone with no experience is a formula for frustration and disaster. Also, the clutch must be assembled correctly or more trouble.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:49 PM
Trailblazer

does anyone have a recomendation for a minnesota guy? I will call the dealers, but a shot in the dark on a recomendation.