Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Pull Start rope jammed??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 01:36 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pull Start rope jammed??

Is it jammed in gear? Maybe the chamber is full of oil. The clicking could be your relay located by the battery or maybe the starter is jammed. try tapping the starter then try the key again. Also try taking out the spark plug and see if it will pull start or key start, with the plug out there should be no compression so it should turn easy. I have a 06 500HO and i can pull start it no problem (except when it is cold it takes a few)It is not easy like a chainsaw though.

Erik trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Old 08-15-2006, 02:52 PM
Pro Rider

The pull rope and the electric starter not being functional (and you have removed the recoil and found it to pull and retract easily and found no damage to the recoil receiver on the engine) indicates the engine is mechanically jammed. As trailblazzers said remove the spark plug and see if the situation still exists. If it does pull off the clutch cover ( you did not say what year your tb was so I assume it is the typical belt driven clutch PVT) and try to manually rotate the clutch (should be relatively easy-DO NOT force it to rotate if you feel it dragging or locked up). If it will not rotate by hand most likely the impact damaged the internals of the motor and an engine removal and teardown will be in order. If it does rotate easily then the engine is most likely ok and you have an electrical/starter problem and a problem with the recoil mechanism. Anyone else have a thought on a component that could have been damaged on impact to lock the motor??

Old 08-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Trailblazer

If it was a good enough knock it could have.. if the bearings were worn out knocked something out inside the motor i am not too sure on the makeup of those motors but maybe if the problem persists you should check the oil or pull off the pan (if there is one) Also another note on the starter is that you should take out the starter to make sure the gear on the end is not dammaged. I am assuming there is a fly wheel of some sort in there for the starter to engage against, maybe is the starter was jammed it could have bent this wheel or gear. That could be something that you described about it only turning a little then getting stuck.

Keep us posted

Erik trailblazzers@shaw.ca

Post the year, size, model etc will get a better idea of what the details are You can go to the polaris parts online they have pictures after you select your model might give you a better idea of whats where inside.Here is the link Polaris parts diagrams

Old 08-15-2006, 03:26 PM
Pro Rider

Good points. There is no pan on these motors but the electric start teeth/gear could be jammed from the impact. Starter removal is fairly easy and you should remove it and inspect as a precaution. If the gear is jammed it will not allow the motor to rotate.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

You made me realize that I have never pull started my Scrammy..... Checked and it pull starts easily... Whew....

Old 08-16-2006, 05:58 PM
Pro Rider

well redheadkev what did you find???

Old 08-17-2006, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

sorry for taking so long well i think teh year on the quad was in like 1998 and i had a friend come over today to look at it and i think the engine is mechanicly jammed.. but i dont understand how it could be jammed because i pushed it in gear and it stilled can be pushed we tryed the to take out the spark plug and still no luck. i was reversing and then flipped.. if u want some pictures to see what this looks like then ask me and ill put some of them up. I didnt even roll it that hard it only rolled once and stood up on all 4 tires. It doesnt look like any parts of the engine are dameged. it just confuses me how i jammed it. Thx for ur help! if u have any more ideas please tell me. And how much would it cost to fix a mechanicly jammed engine or is it even worth it. Thx

Old 08-17-2006, 11:54 PM

well im quight sure but correct me if im rong guys when you roled it the starter gear pushed you and jamed things up i really dont knwo how it could have jamed but thats my guess but how long has teh electric start just been clicking befor you rolled it? or after u rolled it

Old 08-18-2006, 01:31 AM
Weekend Warrior

i dont know ether but i need some1 to give me a good answer to my questions thx

Old 08-18-2006, 01:48 AM
Pro Rider

Did you remove the starter and check to see if the gear is damaged/jammed? I would check that first since removing the plug made no difference. As to it rolling when you push it you must remember that this is a CVT system and will roll with a little effort even if the engine is jammed as the belt is not engaged.

Quick Reply: Pull Start rope jammed??