Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

Would a Polaris Predator 90 be too large ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2006, 08:51 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would a Polaris Predator 90 be too large ?

The fellow said that the only thing wrong with this one is that the chain adjuster is broke.....

How big of a deal/expense is that on these bikes? I found an online parts place in like 2 seconds...and they listed the parts as around $30 total IF I had the right parts in mind....LOL

I did a search and found a couple threads about the Polaris Predator 90o n another forum (paatving.com).......there were a couple of bad comments about pre 2004 models....cracking swingarms, etc....

What you folks say about them? Good/bad?? It seems like parts are easy enough to get....and it does have the Polaris name on it...so that should mean something, right??

I also read that it is actually an off brand bike with Polaris stickers....is that true???? After looking at the chinese atvs and being less than impressed, I dont want to spend twice the money or more and get the same quality level....

Old 08-15-2006, 10:25 AM
Pro Rider

My 8 year old boy rides the wifes warrior around..I think it all depends on the kiddo..And no ones your kiddo better than you do..So just go off your gut felling..If you think he can handle it he should be fine.. It dont matter how old you are if you ride your going to have a wreck..The other day my 8 year old was riding his papas 250 recon and rolled it in first gear..I dunno how he done it in first on flat ground.. But that kid can tear up a peace of metal with a rubber hammer LOL..

Old 08-15-2006, 10:27 AM
Trailblazer

Hey, you are right, the Polaris 90's are built by a company but I do not think it is Chinese. It is engineered by Polaris and built by Aeon I believe. My son's Sportsman 90 is a well built quad and aside from being a little finiky to start every once in a while, I have been impressed. We have been in some deep mud with it and it has been through a lot of water and continues to run fine. He climbs most of the same hills I do on my 700 and my older boy's 250 and he has never failed to get up the hills. It is oil injected and we have had them since March and I have not added any oill yet. It has never stalled and again, I removed the jumpers from the CDI box because it had a tendency to cut down on the power when he needed it the most and he can keep going any where.

I hope this helps and good luck! Let me know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 08-15-2006, 12:18 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: 2BoysandUsriding
Hey, you are right, the Polaris 90's are built by a company but I do not think it is Chinese. It is engineered by Polaris and built by Aeon I believe. My son's Sportsman 90 is a well built quad and aside from being a little finiky to start every once in a while, I have been impressed. We have been in some deep mud with it and it has been through a lot of water and continues to run fine. He climbs most of the same hills I do on my 700 and my older boy's 250 and he has never failed to get up the hills. It is oil injected and we have had them since March and I have not added any oill yet. It has never stalled and again, I removed the jumpers from the CDI box because it had a tendency to cut down on the power when he needed it the most and he can keep going any where.

I hope this helps and good luck! Let me know.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
I guess maybe I am just getting to paranoid/**** retentive/whatever....I know that on the web yo uwill find a lot of bad about stuff...people tend to gripe about problem on the net....

I just dont want to go and shell out money on a bike and then have it have major issues.....or break down on the trails......One guy posted "somewhere" that he was getting rid of his Pred. 90 because it didnt work on the trails in his area....which is actually my area....

Lots of people seem to like them for racing...but Tyler wont be racing..at least not right now.....if the bike cant handle hills, mud, water , rocks and other trail obstacles then it wont work for us....I know this is a kids ATV and it will have its limitations....but I dont want a mudpuddle taking it out of commision.....

I think I am fiannly moving on past the size issue...that "12 and over only" sticker really gets the essage across.....I'll have to put a sticker over it to cover it up...LOL

The chain adjuster on this one os broken according to the guy who knows about it (not the owner....havent talked to him yet)....do you think this is a big deal?

Old 08-15-2006, 12:35 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

if it makes any difference my first quad was a sportsman 500 H.O. when i was 10 LOL (it was my dads but i got to ride it when i wanted to)

Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 PM
Trailblazer

I bought a 2000 scrambler 50 for my son. It was junk and after the way I was treated by Polaris I would go out of my way to warn anybody to stay far away. It was made by a chinese company. Stay away. It may be different being a 2004 model but I would never take one if it was given to me. My sons had to be pulled back to the truck every time we used it. This time I have bought a Susuki 50 for my youngest daughter and have been pleased. Buy a Suzuki or the Honda and you will never regret it. I later bought my son a honda 90 and was very pleased with it.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:26 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Zavetsky,

For that price you cant beat it. The Polaris is a great quad and just as trail friendly as the next. The quad is made by a company aeon/unison and it is a taiwan company NOT Chinese. The motor in these have been used for about 8-9 yrs and is proven very reliable. There are alot of companies that offer aftermarket parts as your son grows. It will not be too big for your son. My son is 8 and he rides the Dc90 same quad. It fits him great with a few more years to go. For 1100 you should jump at that over a Chinese quad. It will give you lots of trouble free years. As for the chain tensioner this is something you dont even need. Even witht he tensioner you still have to tighten the chain as it gets loose. The tensioner just prolongs that process. It in no way affects the performance of the quad. You may get some bad comments about it but that is with any name brand quad. I think for every 10 good you will find 1 bad.

Old 08-16-2006, 12:38 AM
Trailblazer

we have a 04' 90, a 05' 50 and just sold today. 06 500 TLD. never once have we had any problems. my son has put 60-70 hrs on his 90. he has gone through sand, mud small river/creeks and all kinds of terrain. he has ridden it in the snow as well without a single hint of a problem. he is 8 and we bought him it when he was 6. just be smart with the speed control. they are not indestructable, but with common sense riding and maintnence they will last a long..long...long time