Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

sportsman500HO

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 06:45 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What type of snow guard did you make for the front end. Was it aftermarket or a home fab??

Old 12-03-2000, 07:36 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I respectfully disagree with snowrides assumtion that the stock Xplorer tires have more traction in snow than a more agreesive tread like say Mudrunners.I have had Mudrunners on both my 99 500cc Sportsman and now my 00 Xplorer,traction in snow with the new Mudrunners FAR surpass that of the stock Xplorer tires,on either quad.

3tv said he likes his more agressive Titans for traction more than his stock tires to.I've seen both the stock tires and the Mudrunners in action,I'll take the Mudrunners anyday for the superiour traction in mud or snow,
Bill

Old 12-03-2000, 09:14 AM
Pro Rider

what about this rad guard?? does polaris make one?? if not how can i make one?? if it stopped the snow from plugging the rad wouldent it stop the air from going through the rad???

later
jon

Old 12-03-2000, 11:53 AM
Pro Rider

The homemade snowguard I made is made out of a peice of 1/2" plywood about 16" X 16" and is fastened to the guard on the front axle below the radiator. At the top, which reaches the front bumper I have (tube style with winch mount) I simply drilled a couple of holes in the wood and used a heavy plastic tie-wrap to hold it firm. You will find that with a peice of 16" X 16" plywood, it will fit in only one place to allow air to reach the rad, but not from below, where impacting snow will block the rad. If I had a digital camera, I would post a picture of it, for now, dear Santa Claus, and don't forget my roller clutch and hand guards!

Old 12-03-2000, 01:37 PM
Pro Rider

There are lots of different “conditions” of snow but I’d have to agree with at least part of Snowride’s assessment, never having had the use of stock Xplorer tires. The worst thing I ever did to a Sportsman was to install Vamps for winter riding. They either spun without traction or dug four holes, very little in between. Steering the machine was like trying to pilot an unguided missile, very unsafe. The stock Goodyears were far superior to the Vamps in snow. My Mud Runners seem to perform well in the snow but that doesn’t mean there aren’t better snow tires out there.

Old 12-03-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

I Don't know what it's like where your from but here it's easy going in the winter because every trail and path had a couple of dozen sled down them already making them hard packed.On the lakes the snow is wind sweep so there is only a couple of feet of snow on them and you can go anywhere you want for fishing.

Old 12-25-2000, 05:05 PM
Pro Rider

Bill, I believe that Snowride was referring specifically to GoodYear Tracker P tires which come stock on a Sportsman and the Dunlops which are stock on the Magnum/Xplorer models. I have noticed the same thing as he did, Dunlops are better in the snow than the Tracker Ps are.

I have not however compared a Dunlop to a MudRunner on the same trail ride yet.